Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Voting

Well, I have to say that I was a lot more excited on the last election day than I was today. We voted via mail a week ago, then got our ballots back because we forgot to put on postage (which is totally lame, by the way. I don't think ballots should need postage) and then put the proper stamps on and mailed them off again. It's looking like a bad night for our side, which is a bummer....but, then, these things always go in cycles.

We spent the day doing nothing much political, you know, unless you count trying to destroy the institution of marriage, raising children in an immoral environment, and who knows whatever other sins we might have inadvertently committed. I know I've said this before, but I'll just say it again anyway. We had a totally normal day. Mateo went to preschool, Talia and I had a playdate, we patronized local businesses in a variety of ways, the kids took naps, we walked to our local library and then to a coffee shop, and then had dinner as a family before I went off to my grandma's 92nd birthday dinner. We are so traditional, it's not even funny, and yet somehow we're soooo subversive. Bleck.

It freaks me out to see conservatives winning elections all over the country who think that we are fraying the fabric of our country by our very existence, by our wish to be married, by our choice to have children.

I know, I know, that this election isn't really about us at all - it's about the economy and fear and people's reactions to the current administration - but it still feels threatening to see some extreme right-wingers just sail into office with their conservative fiscal views AND their social views still very much intact.

Back in our normal but not so normal life, we're almost finished with our big house project and should have all the electricity rewired in our front room and living room tomorrow. I took before photos and am excited to post the after ones when it's finally all finished.

And, I took a few photos today at the library and at the coffee shop, where Sacha met us after work. We always have an interesting time in the library, because Mateo would stay there for an hour and Talia just goes into her getting-into-everything mode. We got some beginning readers for a change, so we'll see if he's interested in them. Here's the boy with his nose in a book, the girl taking a brief break from rearranging all the books she could reach, and the beautifully pregnant wife joining us for a treat.

If we represent the gay agenda, then I guess the country should be quaking in its boots.





1 comment:

Wendy and Karen said...

You write about this so well.