Thursday, November 4, 2010

Done, done, and done!

I am extremely happy to report that our little home construction project is finished!  And, equally happy that we LOVE the results.  The closet is perfect.  It will be great for holding a lot of stuff, but doesn't take up the room in a way that feels crowded.  The new lighting in there is perfect. 

Since we had the electrician out anyway, we had him put in a new ceiling fan/light combo thing in our living room, which has never had an overhead light.  I'm typing underneath it right now and it still feels very weird to have light coming from overhead!  Also, we had the light switch in our bedroom moved so that it's by the door.  Before, it was across the room, so you had to walk through the dark room and around the bed to turn on the light. 

It's funny how such a minor change can make such a big difference in our quality of life.  We've gone from wishing we could move right now to wanting to extend our stay in this house, because we just love it so much now.  We will probably still sell and move in the next couple of years, but at least we'll get that time to enjoy the improvements.  

I actually think it will be really hard for me to leave this house, even if we leave for some other place that we love and has more amenities.   I mean, we've been here since we moved to Oregon in 2004.  We've conceived our babies in this house and brought them home here.  They both learned to crawl and walk and eat and take baths and do everything here.  There are a lot of things we'll look forward to having in a new house (must have list includes two bathrooms, a fireplace, and a big garden outside), but I'm sure I'll be in tears leaving this one anyway.  I'm not so good at change!  Anyway, that's all for another day.  For now, we're going to enjoy what we have. 

The last part of the plan for the front room is to build some benches with Apa, possibly this weekend, and then the room will be completely finished.  Here are some photos.  Wahoo!

Took this at night without the flash so you can get a sense of the nice light in the room.  It feels very warm and homey in there.

Inside the closet, which we have yet to really move into.

Here's the closet door, which our contractor just had laying around, and which is an exact match with our other doors, just by pure coincidence!

The ceiling fan!  Not only do we love it, but Mateo is obsessed with the remote control.  He pretty much wants the fan going during all hours of the day.  He actually asked me to write a thank you note to myself and Mommy for the fan.  I just about died from the cuteness while trying not to laugh.

No comments: