Friday, November 12, 2010

Science

I took the kids to the Lawrence Hall of Science this morning, a venerable Bay Area science museum similar to OMSI in Portland.  I went there many times as a kid, but hadn't been back in years.   I think Sacha and I might have visited once before we moved, but we've never been there with our own kids.  Looking for an adventure this morning, I decided to load the kids into the minivan (which my parents so thoughtfully rented for us so we could try one out) and head up into the Berkeley hills.  It is an absolutely beautiful day down here and it was GORGEOUS in the hills.

We had a really fun time at the museum.  We played with some wind experiments, some play roller coasters, and then we went to the outside part, where we had what we all agreed was our favorite part.  We climbed up onto a little hill overlooking the San Francisco bay and at a snack just playing and admiring the view.  It was a lovely moment and I could tell even sitting there that it will be a happy memory to look back on. 

And, even though Mateo woke up throughout the night begging to watch his videos (he gets to watch videos in the mornings when we're traveling, to give the mom or moms a little extra sleep) and finally dragging me out of bed at 5:15 am, I got him set up with his PBS kids' show and fell back asleep until a little after 7.  That counts as a major sleep-in around here!

It's really nice to be down here.  It's fun to hang out with my parents, enjoy the warm weather, and for the kids to have some time with their grandparents.  I love running on the trails I spent so much time on in high school, and I get to go to a football game tomorrow to boot!  I'm off to put the boy down for a nap (girl is already asleep) and go out for a run in the sun.  Vacation = awesome. 

No comments: