Monday, June 30, 2008

Breastfeeding blues

After feeling a bit better about the breast feeding with the lactation consultant (LC), we just had a horrible, no good, very bad breast feeding experience. I know, that is total exaggeration. (I just like the phrase from the children's book.)

We got home from a pediatrician visit (lots of appointments today!) and Natalia was hungry, so I got out the SNS (supplemental nursing system - see the next post down), found out it was much harder to use at home than at the clinic, where the lactation consultant just put it together and did it all for me. After figuring out how to put it together, though, I was ready to nurse! When I started nursing, Talia just wouldn't latch and I realized that other than having the lactation consultant latch Natalia onto my boob, I really had no idea how to use the SNS and the nipple shield, nor new ideas on how to help her latch and suck.

I was so excited that everything worked at the clinic, I didn't really think about the fact that I didn't "do" any of it. The LC was holding my boob, holding her head, setting up the latch and everything. So, we had a great nursing there, but I have no clue how to reproduce what she did while at home.

Thankfully, though, we have a different LC that does at home support who is going to come tomorrow to the house and help out here! We have talked to a bunch of people who say that having someone come to the house can really help out a lot when you are having problems. Also, she came highly recommended from a post-partum doula.

Speaking of the at-home LC, the clinic LC realized that we were having someone coming to our house, because I had written the person's name in the notebook with my nursing notes, and she just couldn't shut up about it the whole hour long session. She kept on saying how unethical she thought it was that the woman (who works as a LC at a hospital during the day) was charging to come to the house when it's also her day job, and how she disliked this woman so much, over and over.

Alayna and I kept on trying to change the topic, and the clinic LC just wouldn't let go of it. I don't think there is anything unethical about charging to offer a service that the hospital, clinic and health insurance don't offer, like private, in-home lactation services. I think it is unprofessional, though, to look at other notes I have in my notebook and go on and on about a private choice we are making. We didn't ask for her opinion! It was an interesting look into what is apparently the drama of lactation consulting in our city.

So, at the time I thought the lactation meeting was soooo helpful, and in many ways it was: I now have a SNS system free of charge and an awesome hospital grade breast pump, that the insurance pays 80%. But, I am really hoping tomorrow's LC will give me some more concrete skills!

2 comments:

Briar said...

Oh, Sacha, I SO know how you are feeling right now! We had to use a SNS for about two weeks when Nikos was born, and I pumped like crazy. I remember that meeting with the LC would totally boost my confidence, but then it was never the same when I was at home. The one thing that really did help was when a lactation nurse visited us at the house, so hopefully that goes well for you, too. Hang in there-- I KNOW things will get better and easier for you! She will be nursing like a champ before you know it!

Wendy and Karen said...

I also remember the frustration and sadness of having to us a SNS for a while. It seemed so awkward to have all these props for something that should be so easy. But we kept with it and Kylie and I got in sync. So hang in there!

PS- I don't know how you were taught the SNS but with Karen and I, Karen would work the syringe so I could just concentrate on holding the baby properly and relaxing.