Thursday, June 19, 2008

41 weeks, 4 days: In which our heroine has another non-stress test...

News from the non-stress test: everything looks great. Baby looks great. Fluid looks great. All is well. The NP attempted to strip Sacha's membranes, but she's holding steady at a fingertip dilated and the woman just could not manage to do it. She did mention that Sacha's now 75% effaced, so progress is happening at its own pace.

Sacha's continuing to pump and has started taking black and blue cohosh (or is it blue and black?), so we'll see what happens from here on out. The nurse practitioner said, unhelpfully, "you're running out of time here," like we have any control over this in the first place!

We both agree that we're going to give this a good shot until this weekend, and then if nothing has happened by Saturday at 9 pm, we'll go to the hospital to check in and start an induction the next day, which will be 42 weeks exactly. (As an aside, they wanted to start the hospital check-in at midnight for insurance purposes, but we did that with M's birth and it wrecked us for the next day. By the time they got us all settled and monitored and such, it was like 3 am, and then they started the induction at 7 am. Since Sacha's care is 100% covered, we don't have to worry about billing another hospital day and so she talked them into letting us come in at 9 pm instead. Hopefully we won't need to, though!) Anyway, we're not comfortable going beyond 42 weeks, but we also want to give the baby a chance to come before then on her own if she's ready. I just keep thinking that each day that passes makes it that much more likely that Sacha will go into labor.

Sacha had a tough day yesterday. She felt really down and discouraged and spent part of the morning in tears. Eventually, after some talking and writing and a trip in the sunshine to the farmer's market, she started feeling better. Today's been better emotionally, I think. She is just doing such an amazing job. Seriously, she is upbeat and optimistic almost all the time, even though she's uncomfortable and ready for the baby to be here already! I would be a mess. I know this because I was a mess last time (and I went to 41 weeks exactly)! I am so impressed with her determination and patience and by what a great job she's doing growing our daughter.

In other news, it is a gorgeous day here and I'm so happy I got sunshine for my birthday! Even growing up in California, it was often gray and gloomy in the mornings in the summer. It was great to wake up to sunshine right from the get-go. My mom watched M after we finished with the doctor so we could go out to breakfast and that was lovely. He literally screeched with excitement when he saw her car pull up!

Finally, we want to send big congrats to our friends at we are fambly on the birth of their daughter yesterday! Congratulations, guys!

1 comment:

Briar said...

Oh man... I really feel for Sacha! I was such an emotional wreck at the end (though the fires didn't help things), and I was convinced that Nikos was NEVER coming out! Sacha is such a trooper! And even in the worst case scenario (induction & emergency c-section-- like in my case!), things will still be fine. My scar is practically invisible now-- no joke! Anyway, your little girl is just wanting to make a dramatic entrance, it seems! :)