This was a post I wasn't expecting to make, but here goes.
Natalia got admitted back into the hospital this afternoon.
We took her in for a routine mother-baby check-in and lactation consult and the lactation person found an angry-looking sore on the inside of her lip. We hadn't noticed it before and we know it wasn't there when she was born. They're concerned that she may have somehow caught a herpes virus (although it would have been nearly impossible, since Sacha doesn't have it). Apparently, when there's any question about herpes in a newborn, they have to treat it right away, before the culture even comes back.
So, instead of coming home like we thought, Sacha and Talia and Cathe (Sacha's mom) are now back at the hospital in the special care nursery. They'll treat the baby for 48 hours with IV antiviral medicine, until the culture comes back. If it's negative, which we really hope it will be, then they'll come home right away. If it's positive, they'll stay for somewhere around 10 days for the full course of treatment. I don't know what the long term consequences of that would be.
We decided to have me stay home with Mateo instead of trying to leave him with Cathe for the night. He's struggling a little with the transition and we thought it would be much better to have me here with him. I know it was the right decision, but I miss my girls and am sad for this interruption of our first week together. I just hope something else is causing the irritation in her mouth and that they'll be home soon.
1 comment:
Sending out prayers for neg results. I loved reading the birth story .. wtg Sacha! Natalia is beautiful!
Post a Comment