Friday, April 11, 2008

Sun sun sun

Today is sunny and 60. Tomorrow's supposed to be 75 degrees. We say, bring it on. We could use some sunshine to kick this cold out the door. We're all feeling mostly better but not quite all the way well yet. Hopefully that will happen soon!

Mateo, it seems, has not quite given up mama's milk quite yet! The past few days, he's nursed once or twice over 24 hours at his usual times, usually at naptime when he's already sleepy or asleep. Then, a couple of days ago, he wanted mama's milk when he woke up in the morning, then this morning when he woke up early, and then later today he actually asked for milk twice and nursed himself off to sleep for a nap like normal! We're still not sure where this is heading, but it's looking more like we might have a nursing boy back on our hands after a long week off. I've been really enjoying having our snuggle time back and am just trying to enjoy it as it happens.

I feel like I've been on a roller coaster this week. I actually think it's good that this happened, because, whenever he decides to wean, I'll have worked through a lot of my feelings about it already. I've been alternately sad for awhile and then okay with things and then sad again and around and around like that. Right when I got to feeling very okay with possibly stopping for good, M decided to start up again and that was quite a pleasant surprise!

It's also been interesting to hear other people's perspectives on the whole issue of a nursing toddler and how to manage one who suddenly stops. We've discussed this with quite a few people and have heard everything from encouragement to keep nursing to sympathy about how they grow up so fast to encouragement to wean him now while we can. I think both of us have just been trying to listen to our little guy and to let him take the lead on this one, which is what feels right to us. I'm sure this is just one of many things that we'll be muddling through one step at a time!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I say you are doing what is best; following your heart and his lead. When my daughter went on her nursing strike I was amazed at how many people told me to run with and just get her on a bottle. The thought of giving her formula made me sick. But I went with my heart and kept at it.

Sounds like Mateo is not quite ready to give up momma's milk yet. I bet when the new baby comes he really starts to nurse more.

Briar said...

Yay, good news all around! :) I hope you get some nice weather tomorrow... and you left California why?? J/K! :)