Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Independence

Now that I've had a few days to think this whole situation over (or should it be 'think over this whole situation'?), I'm starting to feel like of course M doesn't want to nurse right now. He is having what might be called a burst of independence. He seems more like a toddler/child and less like a baby than ever before. It's amazing to see.

Here's a snapshot of him from this week: He's putting together more and more words. Today he said "truck go by" over and over after (you guessed it) a truck went by.

He wants to do everything himself. He does not want the tray on his booster chair at the table anymore. No. He wants to eat on his own, unless he wants you to feed him (sometimes simultaneously).

He has had only one wet diaper in two days (not counting nights), with the rest of his business being done on his potty with great pride.

He has been having very short temper tantrums - really more like fits of pique - in which he abruptly throws himself backwards and thrashes and wails when you do something he doesn't like. Or, if you're not holding him, he opts to thrash back and forth while throwing things. Today, I inspired this by daring to take a spoonful out of the kiwi half he was holding.

When we read his favorite books, of which there are many, he finishes large numbers of sentences for us.

We are just bursting with pride at the boy he's becoming. And, understanding more and more why he doesn't want to nurse right now, or anymore. I guess we'll see what he has in mind for the long term after (or if, sigh) we all get over this epic cold, but for right now, I'm feeling pretty good about it all. He's been nursing at naptime and that's about it. Bedtime is going well despite the drastic change in routine. Middle of the night, although he still wakes up once, is going surprisingly smoothly. And I'm wondering if the universe may have orchestrated this to help us ease into the upcoming new era of our lives.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It really is very bittersweet. Enjoy the times he does cuddle and nurse. Cyber hugs to you.