Friday, November 4, 2011

The small things

We just got back from a playdate at the new house.  It's a lot of fun to have friends come over there with us, because (#1) there's a lot more space than at our old house and (#2) there's no furniture yet, just a bunch of toys, so the kids can just run loose.  And, for the most part, they can be loosely supervised, which gives the adults time to chat.  The friends we went with today were a stay-at-home dad and his two kids, who get along great with Mateo and Natalia, so we had fun.  We've actually had several very successful playdates over there, which gives me some hope that people will still come see us after we move there!  We're only moving about ten minutes away from the city, but that seems really far around here. 

Anyway, I was particularly grateful for something this morning at the new house:  the heating vents in the kitchen.  At our old house, the kitchen is unheated.  It's a hundred-year-old house that originally didn't have a heated kitchen, and when it was updated, the kitchen somehow got left out.  That means that the kitchen is usually about 10 degrees colder than the rest of the house during the fall and winter, and the tiles will practically freeze your feet off if you don't wear slippers. 

I walked into the kitchen of the new house today expecting to be cold and realized that I have come to associate kitchens in general with being cold (except for when something is cooking, of course).  I was pleasantly surprised to remember that our new house has heating throughout the house, even in the kitchen.  In fact, there is a fireplace right next to the kitchen, in the dining area.  It's little stuff like that, along with the freedom that will come with having more than one bathroom, that will make the new house a pleasure to live in.  It's good for me to remember that when I get nostalgic for our old house, because there are a lot of things I'll miss.  The freezing cold kitchen, however, is not one of them. 

No comments: