Thursday, February 10, 2011

In/sight

1.  So, I took Talia to the Children's Museum this morning just as she had requested, and it quickly became clear that she wasn't sure what to do.  We meandered through the water feature, the shape sorting part, the grocery shopping part, and the only thing she really settled on was the face painting, which is ALWAYS a hit.  I think she's so used to having Mateo with her when we go there (or anywhere) that she struggles to find her own direction when she's on her own.  On the one hand, it's great that she looks up to him so much.  On the other hand, it would be great for her to experience leading, herself.  It's not that she never does - she's plenty confident in our house - but the outside world can be tough for her.   I hope going to preschool this fall will help a little bit with that.  It definitely has with Mateo.  I can't believe she's going to be three in just a few months!

2.  I fulfilled a long-delayed dream today and got contacts, again!  I tried them over ten years ago, but I've always had dry eyes and contacts did not get along with them.  I wore them for three months just to show people that I didn't actually "just need to break them in," but it didn't work out and I assumed I'd never be able to wear them. 

Just recently, I've been hearing about all the new materials they have for contacts and how some of them are more hydrated than others. 

Then, when we were up in Washington, Sacha's mom was singing the praises of her new contacts and how well they were working, and they were one of the new kinds.  So, since we are lucky enough to have vision coverage (thank you, Portland teachers' union), I went to Kaiser and got fitted for some contacts today.  They even had my prescription in stock, so I got to walk out the door with my new lenses!

It was kind of like the day I first got glasses, way back in fourth grade.  I remember looking up at the trees and realizing that they all had leaves on them!  This was similar - I could see allll the way around, without the fuzziness on the edge of everything that I've just gotten used to.  My vision, according to the doctor today, is about 20/400, so I'm blind as a bat and I can't even see the E on the big letter chart.

So, being able to just look around and SEE things without any glasses seems like a miracle.  I wore them for four hours today and even went running in them and they seemed fine.  I'm going to work up to wearing them all day over the next week or so, so we'll see how that goes!  At worst, if I start having trouble with irritation again, I can just use them for special occasions.  At best, it will be a whole new world of vision!  I figure, it's a win-win.  Now let's just hope I can get them in tomorrow :)  After a decade, I've completely lost my touch!

4 comments:

Briar said...

HOORAY for contacts! I love mine so much. And they have totally gotten more high-tech over the years. I really hope they work out well for you, because they are so liberating!

And I get what you mean about Tali always looking around for Mateo. While Maya has a very strong personality and sense of self, she really does lean on her brother in certain situations. It's interesting to see how being a younger sibling can affect them that way-- they have never been only children, after all! :)

Snickollet said...

Woo! So glad the contacts are working out! How very exciting--I know that there was a lot of anticipation leading up to that appointment.

Annie said...

Hi Alayna! Congrats on the contacts! The same thing happened to me. I tried them over 10 years ago and then had to stop- all the dust in Africa made wearing them super uncomfortable. This past summer I gave it another try. (And now I have graduation photos with no glasses!). Since I had worn them before I waived off all the instructions and advice the doctor wanted to give me before setting me free with my box of contacts. I was an expert already, right? Well, then in October I traveled back east and at one point the overnight case leaked in my baggage and when I went to put the contacts on, they were totally dry. So I did want everyone knows you should NEVER do- I rehydrated them with the cleaning stuff and put one back in my eye. Yea...I guess I should have been more receptive to the little contacts refresher course from the doctor. This was one of the dumbest things I've ever done! The second that lens hit my eyeball I fell to my knees in pain. It was like my eyeball was on fire. I screamed and screamed and screamed. My eye shut so tightly that I didn't think I'd ever be able to get it out. I was visiting my former housemates in Baltimore (both nurses) and one of them took charge and pried my eye open. The 5 min or so that it took him to hold me down, get my eye open and get the contact out felt like FOREVER! My eye was sore and red for a few days. Even though this was caused entirely by my stupidity and I have learned my lesson, I haven't been able to bring myself to put them on again. But your post is making me think twice...I do love that feel of full vision...And if I make a commitment to using common sense I think I could manage to keep myself from burning my eyeballs off this time! I'll keep you posted.

Catherine said...

glad you went ahead and got the contacts - they must be a different material as I just put mine in for the whole day - but there are tons of different materials. I just have to find the right reading glasses - the ones I have are not really right, especcially for reading the computer.

Sounds like more solo outings will help her confidence, but she IS only 2.5 yrs old. I got some really cute t-shirts for them in St. Croix. Can't wait to come have fun with all on Thurs. night.