Sunday, February 27, 2011

Bedtime rituals

Mateo's bedtime routine has changed a bit since he started sharing a room with Natalia. I used to read him two stories each night (one in English and one in Spanish), but now he listens to Natalia's stories. So . . . I just read him one story in Spanish after Natalia goes in her bed.

The first few nights of this, Natalia would yammer away while I was reading to Mateo. I kept on having to ask her to be quiet. Then she started playing with her stuffed animals. This was fine with me, because she wasn't making noise. Mateo could hear his story without commentary.

This last week, Natalia has started turning around in her bed and getting closer and closer during Mateo's story time. Tonight she had completely turned around and her head right next to the end of the bed. I don't know that she understands what I am saying, but she was very quietly listening. A few times she even requested to see the pictures as I was reading to Mateo.

Then I sing Twinkle Twinkle to Mateo. And Natalia always chimes in and sings to him too. It is just so sweet to hear her singing to him every night. Overall, they continue to do a great job of sleeping in the same room. Many nights Natalia has elaborate monologues after I leave, but it doesn't seem to bother Mateo. On the contrary, he seems to be comforted by her talking because it is further proof that he is not along in the room.

--------------------------------

On the work front, I am starting my last week tomorrow. This last week is starting before I anticipated that it would start, but I think it's the right thing for everyone (including Drizzle and my students). I am going to work half-time, as was discussed earlier. I am honestly not 100% better, but I was able to get up and sit and walk a bit today. I have been much more mobile today than I was yesterday. Wish me luck for my last week!

No comments: