We had an action-packed weekend! On Friday, having come to my senses and found a babysitter, I drove up to the Seattle area to visit one of my best friends from college. She was visiting another college friend up there, so we all got to hang out for a bit and reconnect. I forgot to bring my camera, but I had a wonderful time. Even though I was only there for a few hours, it was completely worth the drive. We got in a nice walk, a hot chocolate excursion, a fancy lunch, and a visit to meet the other college friend's little girl, who just turned one. Then, I got back into my car and drove home. Big day!
Then, on Saturday, Mateo and I got up bright and early (as always) and got all our gear in the car for his big day of skiing. He had a lesson on the mountain from 10 to 12, then an hour for lunch, and then the rest of the lesson from 1 to 3 that afternoon. As with many things, Te Te was very excited about the idea of skiing but much more shy about it when confronted with all the gear and snow and tons of kids milling around. It didn't help that he had to walk up a huge hill in his ski boots just to get to the ski school. I carried him part of the way, because he was having such a hard time getting anywhere at all. He was pretty morose by the time it was time to get out there:
However, after some Mama intervention and a gentle push towards his class, he rebounded somewhat and pretty soon was skating around with one ski on, and then with it on the other foot. It was so funny to watch all the little four year olds milling around as their (also very young) instructors tried to teach them the importance of personal space while skiing!
Mateo said his favorite part of the day was learning to make pizzas (snow plowing) and riding on the sled pulled by a ski mobile, which took them to a bunny hill somewhere out on the mountain. You can see him in his little striped hat sitting on the sled.
All in all, one day of skiing was enough for him, as he told me quite emphatically at the morning break, at lunch, and after the day was done. He loves playing in the snow, but does not want to ski again until he is older. That's fine with us. We just wanted him to try it, but we're not going to push it on him. I do have high hopes that a year or two and maybe a private lesson or two with him and possibly me, too, might change his outlook a bit!
Anyway, we were very glad to get home and the poor guy was practically asleep before he even got to bed last night. We spent today doing a little bit of everything and mostly just hanging around the house. We went to the library, took a walk, went to the hardware store, and watched the Super Bowl and Glee with Apa. Can I just say, as a lifelong Cal fan, that it was awesome to see Aaron Rodgers win and be MVP of the Super Bowl? Wow!
We have another busy week coming up, so it's a good thing I'm about to go to bed. Adios!
No comments:
Post a Comment