Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Redirection and Correction

Frequently I think that when Mateo and Natalia get older there will be less need for redirection and correction. I am sure that this is the case, on some level. And as they get older it will move more toward us figuring things out together.

Which brings me to today, with my 5th grade classroom. Yes, it is February, and still I have to remind them what it means when I ask for their attention, how to line up, how to transition in the classroom. At 10 and 11 years old!

I know, I can't really compare our children to the students I teach. My students have totally different backgrounds from our kids. There are many students who do not need to be reminded over and over how to behave in the classroom.

At the end of the day, the relationship I have with my students is obviously really different than the one I have with my kids. I feel like I am a much better teacher because I have kids, but that the roles are so very different. And thank goodness I don't have 27 children!

1 comment:

Briar said...

I am having a lot of the same issues with my students this year... It's so frustrating, and so hard not to compare them to my own kids who, in many ways, listen better than they do. I have never had a class before that was so resistant to walking in line, taking turns, etc... The impulsive behavior has really gotten out of control! I just wanted to say that I feel your pain... and I think our own children will be better for it!