We had a simply lovely morning this morning - it was sunny and the kids and I went to the farmer's market. Then, we dropped by a friend's house right across the street and got to see them AND hold their new baby bunnies and feed their chickens. The kids were in heaven. I tried to soak up the sun and fun for all it was worth, because who knows how long it will last?
Anyway, it was a no-nap day for Mateo, so after I put Talia down and went for a quick run (an aside: I had hurt my knee and hadn't run for a couple of weeks, so I just went really easy and it felt fine. Whew!), I asked Mateo if he wanted to have some special Mama time. Talia and I have time alone together all the time when he's at preschool, but he and I almost never do. He said yes, so I took our big boy to our favorite coffee shop and then to Powell's downtown.
Man, that kid is growing up! It seems like he's taken some kind of leap from three-and-a-half to almost-four. And he continually amazes us with what he can do. As we were walking to the coffee shop, we passed a small fancy brewing store and he said "Mama, what does Bridgetown Beerhouse mean?" He reads anything and everything, or at least that's the way it seems. His one hangup is abbreviations like Mrs. or Dr., which he insists on reading as "Durr." I have a shirt that says Dr. Seuss on it and he always says "Durr Suess," which never fails to crack me up.
We had a really nice time just hanging out together. I'm making a mental note to make this happen more often.
Then, we capped off the day with a delicious dinner with Apa. We had heirloom tomatoes from our neighbor's garden, amazing Yukon Gold potatoes that we just harvested from our garden, sauteed beet greens, hot rolls, and burgers. YUM. I can't believe tomorrow's Monday already. It felt like we got to go back to summer for a minute, but it was so short. I guess that's how it's going to be! Here's hoping that this week will go well for all involved. Poor Sacha has a cold already from her new fifth graders and we're crossing our fingers that we don't all get it. Happy end of the weekend!
3 comments:
I'm so impressed with both your kiddos. I can't wait for Kylie to start to learn to read.
That's amazing that he can read so well. Durr Seuss cracked me up.
That Headsprout.com is indeed amazing. I had my daughter reading at age 3 with it as well, and she would have been reading sooner had I started it at age 2.
The kids are darling. I can't believe I started reading this blog with the birth of Mateo after Sasha announced it on the DI Listserv and I have been following it steadily since! I actually feel like I know you guys and here I am a complete stranger.
Much love & happiness to you both.
Post a Comment