Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Experiments

We had a big experimental day today. We spent all morning at the zoo, exploring the exhibits and investigating the animals. Highlights included the penguins, which had Natalia laughing uproariously, the hippos, and the cheetah.

Then, we came home and put Tali down for her nap. Today was one of Mateo's no-nap days, so he played quietly in the front room while I did my workout. This has been working pretty well. He'd prefer to spend all of naptime glued to my side, but since that's not an option, he does okay with it this way, at least so far.

Anyway, the deal we have is that we can have special time together after I finish my workout. Today, Mateo wanted to do a water experiment. He decided this all on his own. He picked four things from our container garden (lettuce, basil, chives, and mint) and put them in glasses of water. We then sipped them all to see how they tasted. The mint and basil waters were delicious, the lettuce was, well, like nothing, and wow, the chive water was VERY chive-y! Here's our little scientist:



Then, after I went to therapy, I came home and took the kids to the farmer's market. It was a little bittersweet, because it was the second-to-last one of the year! I can't believe farmer's market season is almost over. I just love that market and look forward to Wednesday afternoons for half the year for just that reason....and then lament its absence for the other half! Anyway, the kids and I had dinner there and then played at the playground until it was time to go home. They both did new things - Mateo went down the biggest firepole yet all on his own and Tali climbed up a ladder thing that she's never tried before. They're both getting so big and coordinated!

Finally, awhile back my uncle told me that he takes pictures of the inside of his house periodically, because things change all the time that we don't notice and one can look back at photos of the surroundings and remember "oh, such and such was going on then and I had forgotten about it," etc. Anyway, I haven't managed to quite photograph the house yet, but I did want to catch the kids in a typical afternoon pose. Here's Tali very gradually waking up after her afternoon snooze and Mateo snacking after not napping.

No comments: