We know, or know of, several families that have recently welcomed new babies - all of them second children. Watching them adjust takes me back to the time when Tali was a brand new baby and getting out of the house with both kids was a huge accomplishment, no matter where we were going. Our kids were close enough together that just getting together all their gear and getting it and them out of the house seemed sometimes like a herculean undertaking.
So, to my former self of two years and three months ago, I give you today. I hope that when we transition to having three kids, that we will eventually be able to have days like this again and have it be no big deal.
The kids had their first music class of the semester today and we decided to take the bus. I threw some snacks, water, and an extra diaper into a backpack and off we went. We had to take one bus, transfer to another one, and then walk a couple of blocks to the music class building...except that the second bus stop was closed, so we had to book it down the sidewalk to the next stop before the bus arrived. I wouldn't have even seen the next stop if Mateo hadn't pointed it out, and I made sure to give him lots of praise for his eagle eyes!
We got to the class and did lots of singing and dancing. Especially since Talia still mostly wants to be carried around, those classes are kind of a workout for me as well as for the kids!
Then, we started what seemed like an easy trip home. Two different buses, but no big deal, right? Wrong. We took one bus to a major transit hub about two miles south of our house, only to discover that the next bus we needed wasn't coming for 40 minutes...and Sacha and I have waited for this bus before only to have it never show up. It was noon, the kids were hungry and cranky and I was sick. Did I mention that I have a cold? Not a bad one, but I wasn't feeling the greatest.
So, we took the next best bus and had to walk about half a mile home from its nearest stop to our house. There was much screaming and carrying on on the part of our daughter until I finally gave up and just carried her home.
Then, after lunch, she went down and I did my usual workout while Mateo had quiet time. Today was a struggle in that regard, but he finally settled down and started playing teacher to his imaginary class.
Around 3 pm, we got Natalia up and both kids got into their swimsuits, since it was hot outside and we had agreed to go to a park with a water feature. We swung by our favorite coffee shop for a snack (this alone would have been my whole afternoon activity when she was an infant, and instead we were in and out in less than 15 minutes), and went to the park. Misfortune struck when we discovered that the water was turned off for the season. Oh, the unfairness!!
Luckily, I convinced them to try another park, one where I knew we already had friends hanging out. We crossed the river to get there and had a lovely hour or so splashing in the water and the adults sporadically chatting. Then, we went home, reunited with Mommy, had dinner, took a walk around the neighborhood, and the kids went to bed. Whew!
The thing is, yes, it was a busy day, but not overwhelming and actually it was mostly fun. I'm enjoying the fact that we can go out without a stroller and that both kids are getting old enough to enjoy the same activities. They're such fun little people. Today, when we were walking after dinner, Talia started rocking out to some neighbors' booming music and Mateo very sweetly held her hand and shepherded her across the street. It's so easy to get swept up in the general frustration of dealing with a two year old and a three year old all day, but it's also really great to have moments of enjoying them just the way they are.
I'm not sure what the point of all this is - I guess just to show a snapshot of how our lives are right now. A friend today, one of the ones with a new baby, was quoting whoever said that with small children "the days are long and the years are short" or something like that. That's exactly where we are right now, and I guess that's how it should be. It's funny to think that we'll look back at this time as flashing by, when right now there is so much time in the day and so many things to pack into each one!
No comments:
Post a Comment