I've been teaching sex ed. this week at school. At the beginning of the week, knowing that it was my last week with the students, I made a big list of all of our unfinished business. I then let the students vote on their top four choices.
What made the list?
1) Sex Ed. - they let me know that they would really prefer I teach it over a sub.
2) Literature circle time - when they read novels. This is amazing, because at the beginning of the year they could barely sit for 20 minutes to read, and now they wanted to do literature circle time where they read for 45 minutes at a time.
3) Math test prep - our state changed the standards this year for math, and increased the cut scores for passing the test dramatically. Did we have different materials to prepare students for the test? No.
4) Thank you notes to people that have helped them out.
I was actually surprised, and pleased, by their choices. I really don't mind teaching sex ed. Obviously, I'm not doing the whole curriculum in 5 days. We have covered ground rules, puberty, crushes and pregnancy. I spend about 30 minutes teaching something, and then the students have 30 minutes of Q & A time. They write their questions anonymously, and put them in envelopes by topic. I try to answer all their questions.
Today, we were talking about pregnancy. The questions ranged from, "What is the egg?" and "How does someone get pregnant?" to "Is there a difference between if a woman gets pregnant at a sperm bank or with a man?" and "If someone is raped, will they get pregnant?" Some of them no next to nothing, and others know a bit more. A few have been exposed to way more than I would hope any 10 or 11 year old would ever be exposed to.
Today, while we were talking about pregnancy, the kids wanted to know who would take care of the new baby. I replied that my partner would stay home and take care of the kids.
Now, I've never said to my class, "I'm a lesbian." I have, on the other hand, modeled writing an "I have a dream" essay about gay and lesbian parents. I explained that I knew kids at my school had been bullied (it was dealt with) because people thought that they had two moms or two dads. My kids actually did have two moms. I shared the dream that my kids could go to any school and not have to worry about being bullied.
Did the students understand what I meant? Nope. No clue.
Back to today. After I said that my partner would take care of the kids, there were a few other questions. About five minutes later, a girl asks, "What is a partner?" So I explained that in many states two women or two men can not get married to each other, but they can become domestic partners. . . etc. I also explained that there were some states where my partner and I could marry, as well as many places outside of the US where that was the case, like in Canada and Mexico City. The only response I got was, "Well, that's not fair." Wow.
And still, some of my students didn't get it. Amazing. But most of them did this time.
3 comments:
Wow, your sex ed curriculum is so much more in-depth than what we do here! We just cover "your changing body," haha!
And I think it's really cool that it set the stage for you to talk about same-sex marriage. I know that many kids won't make the connection, but for those that will... they will remember you always, and hopefully grow up to be tolerant adults! :)
Your students are so lucky to have you as their teacher.
This whole report, from the students' choices to their questions and your responses Sacha, fills me with totally unjustified pride. My roommate Cathe, bore and helped to grow this kind of a woman, this kind of a teacher. (I sound just like a really old woman, don't I?)
I don't often get to read your blog, but every time so far I end up smiling. Thanks to you both. Anne
Post a Comment