Saturday, March 5, 2011

A "Go Not Past" Date

I went to my OB yesterday and now have a "Go not past date." I think this date is much more important than the due date - especially after Natalia's delivery. What is my end date? March 26th!

Little Drizzle continues to be transverse. Next week I am going to go to acupuncture and try treading in the water. My OB said that treading in water sometimes helps. Who knew. If the baby has not turned by Friday, they are going to send me in to the hospital to try and turn the baby.

Yesterday was my last day of work. The students wrote me all of these really nice thank you letters. They also wrote letters to next year's students. They seemed to really enjoy learning math and science this year.

It was very cute. Almost all of the boys wrote in their letters about the classroom management plan. Practically every boy wrote, if you don't pay attention, you get your name on the board. If you talk back or do something else you get a check. Then you have to call your own parents to explain what you did and miss recess. If you get another check, you don't get to be in the classroom. (I would like to point out that I only gave maybe 5-10 checks the entire year, and never a second check.) Apparently, though, the plan made quite the impression.

After they wrote their letters to next year's students, I put a few to work packing up my personal belongings for the classroom. I ended up with 10 or so packed boxes that are all labeled (and will stay at the school for next year). I just brought home four little things, knowing that we might be moving.

I didn't lift a thing. An adult volunteer was in the room all day. For the first three hours she helped one or two kids packing (they wanted to). At 11, when my day officially ended, I had 5 kids helping the two of us pack up. Seven students even asked to give up their recess so they could help me pack. I love 5th graders! I'll miss them, but I'm also glad that Friday was my last day.

1 comment:

E. from Pot o' Gold said...

Yay for maternity leave!!! That is so sweet that everyone helped you pack up! Your classroom management plan sounds a lot like mine was with high school sp. ed. students. :)

Lil C went transverse many times, so if you want to know what we did, let me know. I also went to an awesome acupuncturist in Portland, and I can give you her name and number if you want. She helpes me avoid an external version quite a few times! Good luck! A March baby! It must be nice to have a clear-cut date.