Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Adventures

We're having quite the adventurous week. Due to a series of events involving Sacha's dad, a minor foot procedure, and a subsequent infection that nearly got out of control, my lovely wife is up in Washington lending a hand on the home front. She left last night and will probably be gone until tomorrow or the next day. Amazingly, after over a year, this is my first time ever being alone with the kids overnight by myself. Last night actually went okay, except that I went to bed way too late and our son got up WAY too early.

Other than the early wake-up (which I shouldn't really call early anymore because he gets up at the same time every day - between 5:30 and 6 am. There was a period of time in which he would consider sleeping until 7:00...but those days are gone for now) we had a great day together. We were busy! Mateo and I kicked the day off with a bang by throwing together a peach cobbler and some scones before Natalia got up. I've been having him help me bake forever and he's getting pretty good at dumping in the ingredients. He can even scoop them up himself sometimes.

Then, we all had breakfast and pretty soon, it was time for Talia to take a nap. She was just a mess all day. I'm not sure if she was missing Sacha (which we all were), or teething, or having a delayed reaction to the shots she got last week. They did say she might be pretty uncomfortable in a week and it's been about exactly a week. Either way, I pretty much held her all day long, because she would fall apart if I put her down.

So, pretty soon my mom came over for lunch and we all had fun. I think Mateo talked about 95% of the time she was here! He wanted to show her EVERYTHING in the house. We had the cobbler along with homemade vanilla ice cream. Yum!

Then, we had naptime and then a busy afternoon. We brought dinner to some friends who are expecting twins and the mom is on bedrest. Seeing his friend's mom pregnant totally rocked Mateo's world! You'd think he had never seen a pregnant lady before. He seemed shocked that there were babies growing in this lady's tummy and kept asking "But why?" I tried to explain the whole egg and sperm thing, but he clearly did not get it. It totally cracked me up!

Anyway, then we went to the farmer's market with one of Mateo's neighborhood buddies and his mama and little brother. We had a great time, as we always do with them. The boys shared a hawaiian pork burrito for dinner and successfully passed it back and forth many times.

Meanwhile, Natalia chowed down on a fried noodle dish, and I do mean chowed down. The girl can eat! She had one plastic fork in each hand and was attempting to shovel the noodles down as best she could. At one point, she looked up with a mouthful of noodles hanging down to her chin and she looked like a combination of a college student eating greasy food and a puppy dog scarfing down dinner. The cutest thing ever. Then she helped herself to the cherries our friends had brought. She used her newfound pointing skill to point insistently and repeatedly at the bag of cherries, and then decided to just crawl over there and attempt to help herself. She is quite the little communicator in her own way!

So, after a quick stop at the drugstore for diapers, and a lengthy bedtime process, the kids are asleep and the house is mostly cleaned up and I'm going to bed. Whew!

1 comment:

Anastasia Brewster said...

do you have a great scone recipe? i've never made them, but i think chris would love some for his birthday next week (we'll be in bellingham at our friend Christine's childhood home.)

do share. i'm impressed by your ambition in sacha's absence.