Friday, August 14, 2009

Home front

We made waffles this morning for some friends (and us!) and the kids had homemade whipped cream for the first time. I'm sure it has been noticeable that we've been on a kick of making more things ourselves...and we finally decided that the spray whipped cream had to go!

We've been doing a lot of food projects around here this summer - we've picked a zillion pounds of fruit, canned peaches, made pickles, started making the five-minute bread dough again, etc. Today I got all motivated and actually cooked something new for dinner! It involved cutting up a whole chicken, which was a new experience in and of itself, and then smothering the pieces in butter and cranberry sauce and orange zest and such. We just watched Julie and Julia (after reading the book several years ago) and so all the butter seemed appropriate!

Anyway, the kids loved the whipped cream and so did we. It might have to become a part of our weekend waffle tradition. Sadly, our homemade strawberry jam, which we mostly use for waffles, is almost gone already and we are wishing we had picked even more strawberries!

All of this is to say, in a roundabout way, that I am loving being home. I don't miss my job very much, if at all. Not that it wasn't a good job, because it was, but it is the best thing ever to be with the kids all day long. I feel so, so grateful that we can do this.

So, here are some photos from the day.

Mateo and his beater:



Natalia and hers:



Swimming lessons:



My culinary creation:

No comments: