We're slowly checking off items from our huge list. After I posted a few things here last week, we decided to make a real list on our way out to the coast. I have to say, the list is a bit daunting. We may love to plan, but we tend to put off actually doing things that seem overwhelming or difficult to start. Unfortunately, now we have lots of things like that to tackle.
However, I'm pleased to report that we are making some progress. We think we know which screen/storm doors we're going to order and we've picked out and purchased the baby monitor we need in order to move our bedroom across the house. We're hopefully going to be registering as domestic partners this afternoon, so that's another thing that we'll get to check off!
We also had a tour of the hospital last night. The birth center there is brand new and very nice. They have a policy of keeping the baby with her parents at all times, even if Sacha were to have a c-section. The baby would go into the recovery room with her. We like that. It seems like most people we know elected to send their baby to the nursery for the nights when they were in the hospital, but that is not our thing. Just like with Mateo, we want #2 with us, and so she will be!
We figured out a decently fast way to get there (it's not exactly close by) and now know all the ins and outs of getting admitted. There were just two weird things. One: only the laboring woman is allowed to use the bathroom in the room. No one else is. Same thing in the post-partum room. They said this is to prevent infection. What?? I mean, I get it after the birth if the woman has a lot of damage down there...but overall, it just doesn't make sense. I wasn't in exactly great shape after Mateo came out and everyone and their mother used the toilet in our hospital room right along with me. Just saying. It's weird.
Secondly, we're allowed to take photos or video at any time throughout our hospital stay, with one exception. No photos are allowed when the baby is crowning. Again, what?? The tour guide said it was about liability, which makes no sense to me. How do they decide when the exact moment of crowning is anyway? Ridiculous.
The rest of it was fine and good. Apparently this hospital is one of a few nationwide rated as "baby-friendly," so hopefully it will be that way for us.
Ok, off to work on clearing out Sacha's office so it can become our new bedroom...
2 comments:
The bathroom thing is weird, but, I guess hopitals can set a policy on whatever safety precautions they deem necessary. But the photo thing? That seems waay out there, not to mention some kind of violation of your parental rights.
I mean, as long as another individual who doesn't wish to be photographed isn't in the picture, what law is being broken? Sounds to me like the situation is ripe for an "Oh, we forgot" accident. What are they gonna do, put the baby back in?
Those are two weird policies but I like the keep-the-mommy-with-the baby policy even with a csection.
Isn't it a great feeling to check things off your list!
Post a Comment