Rather belatedly, M had his 18-month well-child visit this afternoon. Having just met our new pediatrician for the new baby (who will be on Sacha's insurance, which is different from my insurance, hence the different doc), I love Mateo's pediatrician and her nurse just that much more.
The new doctor seems like she will be fine, but I just think we hit the doctor jackpot with Mateo's provider. Even though she must have seven million patients in her practice, she always seems excited to see him and she has a great bedside manner and she is reassuring without being patronizing. I think it probably helps that she has three kids herself. Her nurse is just as great, despite having a job that must really suck sometimes. Having to be the one to give all the shots has got to be awful.
Anyway, now that I'm finished with my little ode, I can report that the appointment went great. M has actually gained weight! For the first time in probably nine months, the scale did not say 20 pounds when all was said and done. Or 21. It said 22 pounds, 4 ounces. Wahoo! This means that our little guy is now a proud occupant of the 10th percentile for weight, up from the seventh. I am just thrilled that he's actually tracking a curve. He's been eating a ton lately and I guess he's added a little meat to his bones.
Other stats: He's 32 and 3/4 inches tall, which is the 70th percentile, and his head is actually in the 50th, which is the highest it's ever been.
The doc seemed happy with his development and impressed with his talking. She kept saying "he talks like a two-year-old!" - especially after he commented that Dr. M was washing her hands. She also talked me into finally giving him his MMR shot, as well as the chickenpox vaccine. We had been holding off on the first until he got a little bigger and very ambivalent on the second...but with a new baby coming along, we decided now was the time to give him, and her, a little protection.
He was very sad and acted betrayed when he got his shots, but perked up pretty fast when the nurse gave him two stickers. Stickers! Of a digger and its driver! When we got home and I went to get him out of his car seat, I realized I should not have left him alone with the stickers, as he had consumed most of one of them. Yummy diggers.
We had a good rest of the day, although he was very clingy and didn't seem to be very comfortable, even with the ibuprofen. He felt pretty warm when he finally fell asleep and we're really hoping he feels better in the morning.
2 comments:
one more thing to check off the list, as he doesn't get any more shots for a good long time I think.
Glad he has grown some - now you won't worry and can just realize he is built like you and Galen - long and lean.
Can't wait to get our special phone call - lots of pts are wishing you well.
Glad it was a good check-up. I hope Kylie gains some weight too. I would love it if she could get up to 10% weight percentile like Mateo.
PS-- I haven't told you lately, but he is SUCH a handsome boy.
Post a Comment