Today, we hit a two-mom-family milestone of sorts. This morning, by pure, random coincidence, M and I managed to meet our first two-dad family at the park. As one might surmise from our photos, our neighborhood park is often rather deserted. It's usually just us playing on the play structure (or just us and ALL our neighbors - like this weekend or after school, when baseball or kickball games are going on and everyone's family and brothers and sisters and cousins are out playing). Most of the time, though, we're the only ones there when we go. This mystifies me, as there are many, many stay-at-home parents with kids around.
That just made it all the more random that we met these people this morning. M and I were hanging around the house waiting for the carpet cleaner guy to get here. (Just as an aside, can you say CHECK? Another item off the list, baby!) He arrived and got started and politely suggested we go do something else, as M was getting very interested in the proceedings and was soon to be underfoot. As half our furniture was piled in the uncarpeted half of our house, there was nowhere to go but out, so we walked to the park.
As we were sitting there and M was playing on his stroller, up walked this group of two men, one woman, and a little boy. I started to think that the men were probably the kid's dads right away, but that's not such an easy thing to come out and ask. Eventually, the woman and I started chatting about Mateo and I just happened to mention that he's going to be a big brother soon, as my partner is pregnant. That pretty much opened the floodgates and I learned that the woman was their friend and the two guys were the kid's dads (although the friend just had to tell me that the blond guy was the boy's real dad - like the other one wasn't because he hadn't contributed any genetic material) and that they share him with another couple, who are his moms. And all sorts of other things.
It turned out that they don't live around here, but used to live in the neighborhood and just stopped in to have breakfast at a nearby cafe. We've been hoping to find some two-dad families to be friends with and haven't been too successful thus far, so this at least gave me hope. Maybe next we'll stumble upon some local gay dads!
**********
Also, the carpets are now clean and one of the cars is serviced. We ordered a washer on Monday. All our baby clothes are washed and folded and sorted and in their places. We're chugging along!
**********
Last, but not least, M is in the middle of a three hour nap. He's been acting a little bit like his tummy feels yucky and he never sleeps this long...so I'm just crossing my fingers and hoping he's not sick. Hopefully he's just tired and catching up on some sleep?
1 comment:
I'm jealous. I would love to meet a 2-dad family. Let's keep our fingers crossed that some more will cross our paths.
Post a Comment