Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Visits and parties and weekends, oh my!


(I started writing this on Tuesday night, but the week sort of got away from me...)

We had a great weekend. Zenaido flew in on Friday night and the weekend started off with a bang the next day. Mateo, ever prepared for things relating to awakeness, got up at the crack of dawn. He and his Apa spent the day getting reacquainted, which they both seemed to enjoy.



In the afternoon, Sacha and Mateo and I went down to Pistils, our neighborhood garden store, and bought some plants to put in our new square-foot garden. I will let Sacha tell you all about it, but suffice it to say that it is very cool and hopefully we will be growing some yummy food for the summer. (By the way, Sacha renewed her membership in the lesbian nation by building the raised planter for the garden all by herself!) While we were getting plants, Zenaido and our friend Joaquin were shopping till they dropped for all kinds of food.



On Sunday, Zenaido, Joaquin and Rachel made some amazing things for the party. To name a few: handmade chicken and beef mini-tamales, a Spanish tortilla dish with eggs and potatoes, little appetizers with dates and cheese, a Mexican chocolate and coffee drink that was wildly successful, a hibiscus-infused tea....and on and on. We couldn't believe how much they cooked and how good it was! And, the party was really fun. A good time was had by all. We seem to know quite a few babies and kids these days and many of them came, so we had lots of fun catching up. We were especially happy that my grandmother and her caregiver could come and join in the festivities. After everyone left, we spent several hours cleaning up and then ordered pizza and collapsed!



Zenaido took some absolutely amazing photos while he was here. I won't post all of them, as it would probably crash our blogger account, but I wanted to show off a few of them. Hope you enjoy!



After Z left, we had a little time on our own and then Sacha's parents came to town, followed closely by my parents. We're going to have a fun family brunch on Mother's Day all together. It still seems a little surreal that we're actually moms and going to be celebrating Mother's Day. Last year at this time, I was just into the second trimester and I had just felt the baby move for the first time the week before Mother's Day. It felt like a little alka-seltzer tablet fizzing in my belly. Our family kept wishing us a happy M's day and I kept hoping they wouldn't jinx us. Ah, me and my ever-present superstition :)



At the same time, our cat, Beso, had a massive chest infection and was hovering on the verge of needing to be put down. He did eventually pull through after getting a chest tube, but it was very sad and stressful. Anyway, that was a long way to saying we're thrilled to be here with our six-month-old little guy (and a healthy and thriving Beso, too) this year.


I feel like this was long and random and rambling. I'm gonna chalk it up to Mateo's recent decision to start getting up every three hours at night again. Hopefully he's growing and we'll be sleeping more again soon!

4 comments:

Wendy and Karen said...

Would love to see pictures of the garden as it grows. And the food for the party sounds so yummy.

The pictures are fabulous and I LOVE the quilt that your little boy is sitting on!

ohchicken said...

ah pictures. they are lovely. and please tell zenaido that he is very hott.

mateo is growing so quickly!!!

happy gardening!!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
shetha said...

Happy Mother's day! I'm sure Mateo got you both lovely things but the best gift of all is Mateo, of course! Hope you have a really lovely day... and thanks for all the great pics!

(sorry for the deleted comment -- I was logged in under the wrong account!)