Mateo started something new and exciting yesterday! I was working in his room removing the old, rusty nails from the potentially beautiful hardwood floor while he was hanging out in his crib. Why was I doing that? Well, both Alayna and I noticed that when he would lay on the carpet, Mateo would immediately get stuffed up. Not a great thing. After some thought, we decided that before we wanted him to sleep in his own room, we would like him to be able to be in his room without getting all stuffed up. (High expectations, I know)
After reading about regular carpet off-gassing, we eliminated that from the potential options and thought maybe wool carpet would be better. It is better environmentally, but not for the pocketbook. We ended up finding some really fun carpet squares that were on clearance and look great, but to put those in we had to rip out the old carpet, and it turned out two layers of linoleum. Stinky! Let me tell you, Mateo was no where near the room as we were working on this and I am just shocked by how smelly those under layers were. No wonder he kept on getting stuffed up. It makes us want to rip out all of the old carpet, but I think we'll work on this one project at a time.
Continuing to work on the project, I had tons of rusty nails to work on extracting from the carpet. After bleaching the floor twice, it no longer smells, but it needed to be nail free. Mateo was playing in the crib, not making much noise, when I stood up to check in on him . . . and he was in the crawling position!!!! At the back of the crib! WOW. He was rocking back and forth, staying in the position for 30 seconds or so a time, flopping down, fussing and getting right back up!
I guess we better get serious about baby proofing!
No comments:
Post a Comment