Tuesday, January 23, 2007

The big news!

As you all know, I finished my MAT in education in October, after Mateo was born. I was planning on returning to teaching in September of this coming school year, and started filling out my applications for Beaverton and Portland in January. Beaverton actually starts hiring bilingual teachers in February (early, but that is how they can actually secure teachers), so I thought I would work on my application.

Yesterday, I received a phone call from the district that they are looking to hire someone right now for a third/fourth grade classroom, and could I go to an interview today? (I actually haven't even finished my application yet, but they didn't seem to care.)

Today, I went to the interview, and it turned out they were looking for someone for a kindergarten classroom . . . a little bit different from a 3/4th grade split. . . and they wanted to hire someone by the end of this week. I just got a call this afternoon that I have the job (provided that I complete my application)!

Obviously, I can't start teaching as soon as they want me to, for a number of reasons. We're taking a fabulous vacation to Cancun with Alayna's parents next week. And, I have my tutoring students from tutoring. Most of my clients' parents knew that I was looking for teaching jobs for next year, but I didn't expect it to be this soon! I need to figure out how I can find them other people to work with

I am someone excited by the situation, but also a bit concerned.

Pros:
  • I enjoy teaching in Spanish, and this is a bilingual placement.
  • The school sounds wonderful. They are focused on reading, using research, really look at student data, and have cooperative planning times.
  • I would probably be able to move to a different grade next year, if I wanted to do that. They basically guaranteed that I could move to a different grade, and said that there might also be opportunities working as a literacy coach, in Spanish. (Wow!)
  • I would be earning significantly more money than I do as a tutor, which would be great with Alayna staying home with Mateo, and having a child.
  • The school is just 20 minutes away from the house, and I actually enjoy driving because I like singing in the car and that helps me relax.
  • The principal seemed wonderful and positive.
  • I like the idea of working with a challenging (skill-wise) group of children, who are falling behind. In some way there will be less pressure on me because I'll be taking them in the middle of the year.
Cons:
  • I would miss being with Mateo and Alayna during the day.
  • My schedule would be way less flexible, and I would be working significantly more hours.
  • I've never taught kindergarten on my own, and am a bit concerned about teaching children that age. Will I be able to manage them?
So, it is a big, huge change, but I think I will take the job!

1 comment:

Anne Wright-Lohaus said...

Dear all 3,
This is Anne Wright of Cathe Luria's grad school days. She just forwarded your site to me when I begged for pictures of you all. I started reading and now I MUST go to bed. I haven't gotten back to Mateo's birth yet, but give me time. I really appreciate your sharing on the site. May you flourish as you work out parenting and continue to work on partnering in a world that may be becoming ready for your family! So glad to hear that you have this good support group. I hope to drop in once in a while if it's OK. Good luck with the job, Sacha. Warmly, Anne Wright