I never had much to do with the making of the house, which happened at the same time, I think, and was mostly done by the adults. Or, possibly, it was done by my grandma later. I'm not sure. All I know is that we now have the molds but didn't know quite how to use them until last year, when Dr. Google showed us.
We managed to put up a very respectable gingerbread mansion last year, but I think we topped it this year. First of all, I knew how much time it would take, so I started baking the pieces quite a few days in advance, and I had the kids help as much as they could. Secondly, we assembled the house and the clock tower prior to our friends and Auntie Edlyn arriving, so that we could focus on decorating when they got here.
Last year, we spent a looong time waiting for the house to set and we even busted out the hair dryer to move things along! This year, the icing had glued everything together and set before anybody got here. And, we had tons of fun. We have several budding holiday traditions going with these ladies and we love it. We all have fun, and the kids just can't get enough of them, either. And, if I may say and again, having Auntie Edlyn here just put them right over the edge into happiness hysteria.
Here are some photos of the whole process.
Greasing the molds prior to baking:
The massive hunk of dough, which ended up needing to be doubled:
Getting ready and opening alllll the bottles of sprinkles:
The huge bowl of royal icing, of which we used almost all:
The house and bell tower, waiting to be decorated:
Work in progress!:
The final product:
| Note the awesome and gigantic gingerbread security man guarding the estate.... |
3 comments:
That's Fabulous!! I don't remember anything about the clock tower? Grandma put it all together in the earlier years, but the last few, you kids participated in all that, decorating and then putting the sides and roof together. I'm sure you remember using coffee mugs to hold up the sides while they took forever to dry?!? Anyway, quite a tradition she started there :)
I've heard making these houses is hard. I'm impressed you did it!
Where's the hot tub?
Post a Comment