Monday, February 2, 2009

Right and left

In the car today:

Mateo is jabbering about right and left. For kicks, I say, "Mateo, which is your right hand?" The kid raises his right hand. I ask him about his left hand, thinking he just got lucky. He raises his left hand. He then correctly identifies right vs. left feet. Then, he says, "Baby Talia is on the left side of the car."

At home:

The student nanny arrives. I decide to test the new right/left thing in front of an audience. Again, Teo obediently raises his right hand. Then, his left. He does it again for Mommy when she gets home.

He has a little friend who can do this, too, and we were making a big deal of it at a recent playdate. I guess he decided to figure out what the fuss was all about. I feel like I didn't completely conceive of right vs. left until a much older age and I can't quite wrap my mind around how he managed to figure it out. Go little guy!

4 comments:

Holly said...

Because he's so smart! Wow! I'm super impressed!

Wendy and Karen said...

He is awesome!

Annie said...

You're right- that's supper advanced! Way to go.

Anastasia Brewster said...

I love reading your adventures with your kids, cuz it makes me explore my kids' abilities, too. I asked Maddie which hand was her left, and she raised the correct one, and likewise for her right hand. I have no idea how she learned that. What I've been struck with is that they pick up on the negative stuff around them too! Doh - Maddie now says "Oh god", when she's frustrated. "Gosh", when she drops something, and "oh my goodness" when she likes a surprise. Taking her cues from me.