Thursday, February 26, 2009

Bad morning

Mateo and I just finished up what had to be the worst morning we have ever had together. If he wasn't crying and whining, he was deliberately throwing stuff off the counter and looking at me to make sure I saw him. I think I must have given him between 10 and 15 timeouts. He didn't want to eat, he didn't want to play, he just wanted me to carry him around. He usually wants to be carried around, but this was a lot more than usual. We did make it out to drop some stuff off at goodwill and took a side trip by the library, but even that didn't last long. Sometime after his millionth timeout and in the middle of another tempter tantrum, I started thinking that maybe we should take him to the doctor. He just wasn't acting like himself. And he did just have a fever for a couple of days. And he had an awful night last night - he was up crying and carrying on twice - once for an hour and once for half an hour. And he kept asking for cuddles and wanting ibuprofen, although he'd already had some (I thought maybe his molars were bothering him).

So, I called the advice nurse and she thought we should take him in this afternoon. Sacha and the kids are there right now. When I called around 2:30 pm, she said he'd been screaming for 45 minutes continuously after taking an absurdly short nap.

My theory is that he has an ear infection. He's only had one before, but it got to the point of nearly rupturing his ear drum before we realized anything was wrong. And, as Sacha said, I almost hope it's something like that, because otherwise we have really hit the terrible twos! I just wish I could be at the doctor with them instead of stuck in my office...

Updated to add:

Well, it's not an ear infection but it still sounds awful. He has something called Herpangina, which is basically painful blisters in the back of his throat. It's not the same as hand, foot, and mouth disease, but apparently it's similar. Doesn't sound like there's much to do for it except give them pain medicine and try to get them to drink. I'm sure the next few days will be really fun at our house! It does explain why he keeps wanting teething gel though - it was probably numbing his throat. And, he had inexplicably started drooling, which we thought was related to teething, but turns out to be a sign of this virus. Bleck. Poor baby :(

1 comment:

Wendy and Karen said...

Oh my goodness! Poor baby and poor moms. Hang in there and call if we can help in any way.