This week, our son realized that he is two years old. Before this weekend, he was toodling along in life, blissfully unaware of how a two-year-old might be developmentally required to act. Then, either a switch was flipped or those two-year molars he's working on are really awful, because he has been somewhat difficult to be around ever since.
He's been pushing and shoving his sister, yelling at his mama, kicking his friends, and just generally testing limits in a lovely variety of ways. He's had more timeouts in the past week than he has, well, maybe ever.
A friend asked me today if the timeouts were working and I said, honestly, that I didn't know but at least they were keeping me from spanking him. Giving him a timeout is a much-needed breather for both of us when things are going downhill.
I'm holding onto some hope that things will improve once those awful molars are finished. However, the phrase "terrible twos" keeps ringing in my head! In any case, we're going to have to brush up on our 1-2-3 Magic skills...
2 comments:
The only thing that is magic is that a terrible two-year-old with consistent discipline will likely grow up into an agreeable, peaceable adult. Hard to imagine sometimes when I see how my 2-year-old behaves. You guys are some of the most consistent parents I know - hope those molars come in soon.
I have been there with feeling as if a break is what keeps me from doing something I would regret too. I give myself a timeout, calling it a break, often by leaving the room but staying close by. Sorel usually will calm down and play by himself. Now he says, Mommy frustrated, be happy.
Post a Comment