Sunday, March 30, 2008

Long night

(Edited to add: I changed the title to this post because I started thinking about all the things that could have happened to make it a really terrible night. Like having to take a trip to the emergency room or someone having a stomach virus or any number of other things. I decided I should save the dramatic title for something other than yet another post about sleep problems...)

We had a horrible night last night. Awful. I mean, freaking awful. And it had nothing to do with Mateo. He slept until 3 am and woke up to nurse, as he does about half the time these days. No problem, right? I got up to nurse him and put him back down around 3:30. That's when the trouble started. When I got back to bed, Sacha said she'd been having a hard time sleeping. I commiserated and then we laid down and closed our eyes...and neither one of us went to sleep. For hours. We could not get back to sleep for anything. I don't know if we were keeping each other up with our shifting around or if my incredibly frustrated vibes (being up for no reason these days just makes me crazy because I know how I'm going to pay for it later) were making us both feel agitated.

Whatever the reason, I finally staggered out to the couch around 5 am, reasoning that maybe I needed a change of scenery and Sacha needed me to stop fidgeting around. I did finally fall asleep for about 15 minutes, when I heard Mateo wailing. I went back into the bedroom to find that Sacha was sitting up with him on her chest and that he had woken up almost immediately after I left our bedroom, but she didn't want to wake me up.

Putting him back to bed only led to him crying until just before six. Sacha had finally fallen asleep, so I got up with him. I was in such a terrible mood. I stomped into his room, yanked down the side of his crib, and picked him up. I mean, I had been up since 3 am.

Then, the most amazing thing happened. He said "Hi!" in this incredibly happy voice and leaned in for a cuddle. Then he started soothingly patting me on the back. It was so sweet and pretty soon tears were rolling down my face. After that, things were okay. We stayed up for awhile to let Sacha sleep and then she took him for a long walk while I crashed. As unpleasant as being up that early was, it made both of us realize that we still can function on very little sleep, which is good to know before baby #2 makes her appearance.

We've had a wonderful spring break and are a little sad that Sacha's going back to work tomorrow. But, as we were discussing earlier, each new work day (and weekend day) brings us that much closer to our new baby. Happy 30 weeks!

2 comments:

Briar said...

30 weeks already! I can't believe it! Your little girl is going to be here before you know it... I can't wait to see pictures of the little cutie!

Wendy and Karen said...

I held my breath as I started reading the story but then let it all out in an "Ohhhh" when I got to the part about Mateo greeting you.

Losing sleep sucks. I hope you get a great sleep tonight.