Tonight reminded me of something I've been trying to pay attention to ever since Sacha got pregnant. Whenever I see a pregnant woman or a couple expecting their first child, I always want to stop them and say "SLEEP NOW WHILE YOU STILL CAN!" That's not very socially appropriate, obviously, but it just always makes me think back to those days before M was born and how we just had no idea how our lives were about to change.
Recently, I've been thinking that we are in a new kind of honeymoon period. While M is definitely still keeping us on our toes (it seems that the 'no' period of his life has begun), things feel pretty normal. We have daily routines with him and we can have friends over and go out and even sometimes have date nights and generally feel pretty well-rounded. And, overall, we're decently well-rested compared to the early days.
This is all going to change very soon. Not only will we be back in that newborn/recovering-from-birth haze, but we will be attempting to parent our toddler at the same time. Nights like tonight, with a relaxing dinner and dessert and lovely conversation after M went to bed...well, I'm sure they'll start happening again at some point, but it won't be for quite awhile. And just as our normal now is totally different than our normal used to be, I'm sure we'll have a new new normal eventually.
My point is, tonight I tried to soak it all in and just enjoy being where we are. It's a pretty great place to be.
On that note, here are some photos from tonight. Our little one started having a party inside and both Sacha's mom and Apa got to feel her. It was a magical moment.
1 comment:
Soak it all in!
(And sleep while you can- wink!)
And know that your friends are here to help you through the new baby haze.
Post a Comment