Wednesday, March 19, 2008

More work related news

People have been so amazingly kind these last few days as I have found out that I've been unassigned. Today was actually the first day that I received official notice that I had been unassigned (this turns out to be after two different people were offered my job, which one accepted).

I'm a little bit unclear about what will happen next year, and so will be talking to HR and the union over the next few weeks to get all of that cleared up. It sounds like I will mostly likely have a job next year in the district, but it is a bit surprise as to what job I will have. Also, I will not have any say as to what job I will be placed in, if things go the way they have been explained to me. It sounds like I can be placed into any job that I am "qualified" for in the district. So, that is not all bad news.

On a positive note, so far 35% - 40% of my students have exceeded on their state math test! Yah! That is the highest rate for any fourth or fifth grade class in the school! (Statewide the rate is about 12%.)

3 comments:

Wendy and Karen said...

It sounds like this news just sucks but I love your positive spin on it.

Congratulations on such excellent math scores. You are awesome!

Kristin said...

I'm so sorry, Sacha, that you've been unassigned. I know they will miss you as you have been such an amazing teacher for them. I'll be thinking good thoughts your way for an even better job just on the horizon. (Also, I apologize for not saying anything supportive yesterday when I saw you. I was just a little behind in keeping up with your blog and didn't know.)

Spedvet said...

Sacha, is your school a DI school? If no, are you the only teacher there using DI?

If you are not in a school where DI is used widely, I am curious about the reception you've received in using DI -- if that (DI) is in fact the primary instructional method you are using.

As my handle implies, I'm sort of a veteran of special education advocacy. I have known a few DI teachers who were pretty castigated and ostracized for using DI -- one who was told by her principal to quit using it because the other teachers became threatened that her resource kids were outscoring their general ed kids on state tests.