Sunday, June 12, 2011
Energy Drain and Packing
"Are you moving?" all of or neighbors keep on asking. Nope! So, why do we have a moving pod outside of our house?
We are getting the basement refinished! After living here for 6 years, we decided that it was good time that we made out basement a little bit nicer. So, for the last few days, we have been packing, packing and packing.
The kids think the pod is like a huge fort, and have been happy to hang out and read while we get everything ready for the remodel. The basement is now 100% empty, thanks to all of the hard work by Alayna, and our friend Manuel. I helped a bit, mostly by watching the kids while they did the heavy lifting.
Other news in the house, is a new technique we have been doing in the house: energy drains. When Mateo or Natalia does something that is bothersome, we say, "Energy Drain." They then have to give back the energy before we do something else for them. They get the choice of what they would like to put back the energy. That could be dusting or anything else around the house that they can do.
The nice thing about it is that I don't feel so frustrated or angry after the energy drain is over. The other day, Mateo tried out something new - biting. I was sitting at the computer doing some work, and he came up and bit me. After a time out, I told him that I had an energy drain. A very big energy drain. So, he did a lot of dusting.
By the end, I felt much calmer and happier and was a better parent. He got the idea that biting was not a lot of fun. I asked him at the end, "So, was biting Mommy a lot of fun? Is that something you want to do again? I wonder what would happen if you did that again?"
Mateo responded, "I don't want to do that again."
There was no lecturing on my part about biting. Ahh, the joys of 4 and a half!
This last picture is of Alayna, my beautiful wife, with Mateo and Rosa:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I love the energy drain idea. Thanks for sharing it!
Post a Comment