Monday, May 9, 2011

Mother's Day

We had a busy Mother's Day weekend!  As Sacha mentioned, her parents were visiting, which was fun for everybody.  They went to a professional conference on Thursday and Friday and then we had the weekend to hang out.  It was great to have Sacha's mom here to celebrate for Mother's Day, and of course I talked to my own mom that day, too.

Mother's Day itself was really fun.  I started it out with a 5K called Run Like a Mother.  It was at a local park and wound through neighborhood streets before finishing at the park again.  After we started, I was shocked to find myself within view of the lead group, so I just kept pushing and trying to stay up there, and I finished 10th!  In the whole race!  I haven't done anything like that since college, so I was reallllly excited.  I also averaged under 8 minute miles, which was another first since college.  It was so much fun to start Mother's Day with a big runner's high :)  I'm definitely going to do it again next year.

After I got home, we tried taking the kids to the park, but it started raining torrentially.  So, we milled around the house until it was time for the big family brunch downtown.  We took up two big tables, ate lots of food, and generally had a good time.  We also accurately noted the signs of an upcoming meltdown on the part of our children and left while they were still behaving relatively well! 

Mother's Day itself still seems a bit surreal to me.   I know that we now have three kids and we are definitely moms, but actually being celebrated as a mother still seems amazing.  And nice.  It's lovely to be celebrated :)  And, of course, it's wonderful to celebrate all the incredible work our moms did and continue to do with raising us.   Happy belated Mother's Day to all the mamas out there!

No comments: