Here are some pictures.
| Bubby trying out my new Fit Desk exercise bike! |
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nail Biting
Mateo has been having a hard time lately with nail biting. I think it is a nervous habit of his, but the other day when I was putting him to sleep, he told me, "I'm addicted to biting my nails." (He also told me he was "addicted" to our house . . . so there might be some confusion on what that word means.)
For whatever reason, the nail biting bothers me. And I've been really unsuccessful in getting him to stop. This week I was reading a book that was written for parents, but was recommended by some friends for use in the classroom called Parenting Without Punishment. The book is rather technical, but it has all sorts of practical ideas that really work.
As I was reading the book, I realized that I give Mateo, so much negative feedback for biting his nails. I am constantly saying things like, "Take your hands out of your mouth." Over the course of the past few months, he has been biting his nails more and more.
On top of that Natalia has also started putting her fingers in her mouth to get attention. Clearly, my methods were not working. I was stuck in a cycle. I didn't know what else to do.
Then I read Parenting Without Punishment and realized how much negative feedback I was giving him. I was never praising him when his hands were out of his mouth. And, realistically, most of the time he was doing the right thing.
Once I started ignoring the nail biting, and giving him praise for keeping his fingers dry, he started to turn the corner. Sure, he still bites his nails, but the amount has decreased by a bit. I also feel less frustrated. Once I started praising him, I realized just how much of the time he was doing the right thing. And I was ignoring the right behaviors.
He decided that he wanted blue sparkle nail polish to help him keep his nails dry. So here he is getting his nails painted by Bubby.
1 comment:
Yay for blue sparkles! My brother will be so proud that his tradition continues.
In fact, we may still have some of that Wet 'n' Wild left at my dad's house... I might have to check next time I'm home...
Post a Comment