Saturday, August 14, 2010

Summer, finally!

Summer is finally here, at least for this week! As the native Californian of the family, I am ecstatic about the heat and Sacha is wishing it was fall already. In fact, I just went out for a run and when I got back, realized it was 94 degrees outside. That must be why I felt so sluggish!

Anyway, we went to a free concert last night, in the same series we attended last year. It was our first time seeing this acrobatic dance troupe called Do Jump! and they were great. The kids were giggling and dancing and generally enjoying themselves for the whole time, which was pretty amazing. We actually just got to sit and enjoy it ourselves, instead of doing a lot of behavior management. We went with another family, with whose older son Mateo has been friends since birth. The boys had a period of hilarious dancing/wrestling that photos don't really do justice, but it was joyful and a pleasure to witness. Here are a few photos from the evening:






If this isn't pure joy, I don't know what is...
And here we are back at home a few nights ago, chilling before getting ready for bed. These guys are SO happy to have Mommy home for the summer!


Today, we had Megan and Galen over for waffles, and they brought us our Christmas present - a watermelon fresh from Hermiston, which is in eastern Oregon near Galen and is famous for its watermelons. YUM. Then, Mateo and Apa went out on a boy date and, according to both of them, had SO MUCH FUN! Here are our boys just after returning:


They went to the Gorge to hike and Mateo hiked almost all the way on his own. Then, they visited Grand Central Baking, our neighborhood venue of choice, on the way home. They got Mateo a blueberry macaroon after lunch "to match his blueberry eyes." I know I'm biased, but I think both our kids' eyes are quite stunning and this photo of Mateo from last night really shows them off.


This afternoon, we're planning to check out a new ice cream place within walking distance (although we'll probably drive because of the heat) and then tomorrow...a canning adventure! Friends are coming with ambitious canning recipes and we're going to try them together. We canned 18 quarts of peaches earlier this week, but we've never tried anything that involved an actual recipe (ie, green beans with a specific sauce), so that will be new. I'm sure I'll be back with photos on how that goes!

No comments: