We now think that she had an especially sleepy first week because she was recovering from the meconium and somewhat traumatic birth, but that she will probably be more and more alert from here on out. She is still sleeping four or more hours at a stretch at night, so we have nothing to complain about! But, the past couple of nights have seen her get up to eat and finish eating and still be wide awake and cranky. We've divided things so that Sacha does the feeding and I do the before and after feeding stuff, so I've been up trying to figure out how to get her back to sleep!
I felt so frustrated last night because she was wide awake and fussy and I just couldn't get her to nod off. Mateo's most difficult time has also always been going to sleep, so it felt uncomfortably familiar to have another wide awake baby who didn't want to sleep on my hands. I finally realized today that I just don't have my bag of tricks for her, yet, like I do for Mateo. We're both learning what she likes and doesn't like and what will work for her in all areas...so once we get there, things will be easier.
In other news, we had a nice 4th of July once we all got going this morning. My mom took Mateo out on a big adventure around the neighborhood and let Sacha and I (and the baby) sleep until 8:30! That will not be happening for a long time after she leaves, let me tell you.
Then M and I got our stuff together and went to meet some friends for this adorable little neighborhood parade where they live. It was basically all the families in the area meeting to walk this little parade route and have fun. There was a big fire truck that led the whole thing. It was packed and, despite the fact that I was a bit of a walking zombie, we had fun. Or, at least I did. Mateo slept through the whole thing in his stroller! It killed me, because he would have LOVED the fire truck and all the other kids and colors and goings-on...and because I had totally gotten us out of the house for a fun adventure and he wasn't even conscious for it.
After we got home, Mateo got one of the presents that Natalia "brought home" from the hospital for him. It's this awesome wooden truck with a container on the back that comes on and off that my mom found. He seriously played with it nonstop for an hour after he got it, which is a really long time for him. It was very cute.
Then we had Apa and his friend M over for dinner. They loved hanging out with both kids and it was great to see them all having so much fun.
Here are some photos from today.
Chilling in her special Independence Day onesie:
We call this her orchestra conductor pose:
They seem to enjoy cuddling together - or at least, Mateo does:
Mateo and Apa had a wonderful time together, as they always do:
Here's our favorite boy:
1 comment:
Oh ... that Mateo ... What a cutie pie he is! Of course, little Natalia is just as precious! They're so adorable together, and they're so picture perfect.
Brooke
Post a Comment