Thursday, December 1, 2011

Owie

The kids and I were having a good day yesterday until I took a big fall.  We had gone to my grandma's hosue for a visit and it became clear that the older two needed to blow off some steam, so we went to our favorite park, which is now just minutes from our new house.  It has a little lake with ducks, in addition to a great play structure and swings and such.

The ducks are really the main attraction, so we spent much of our time there by the water.  As it turned out, the water in the lake was down lower than usual, so there was a little beachy area between the grass and the water.  Mateo climbed over a log to get down to the water and Tali asked me for some help to get down there, too.  So, I took her hand, and, carrying Rosa in the Ergo, stepped on the log to help her down.  That turned out to be a big mistake!

Just like slipping on a banana peel, the log turned out to be VERY slippery and my feet went right out from under me.  I involuntarily flung my arms out, which, in turn, flipped Tali onto the ground and she hit her head on a rock just as Roas and I came slamming down on the log.  It was quite the scene, with Tali screaming and reaching for me as I grabbed my butt and tried not to cry.  At least the baby was completely unscathed. Good times!

Eventually, Tali calmed down and convinced me that she was okay.  I was pretty worried about her, because I had heard a crack when we both hit the ground and I thought it might have been her head.  Or my butt!  Either way, she turned out to be just fine and some ibuprofen at home helped her feel a lot better.  Back at the park, I convinced Mateo that we really needed to go.  I thought that I had broken my tailbone because of all the pain I was having, but was surprised to find that I could sit comfortably once we got to the car.  Still, I was in a lot of pain and couldn't bend over or really move at all without aggravating it.

Ultimately, I took the kids to urgent care on the other side of town and Sacha met us there.  The doctor looked me over and pronounced nothing to be broken, which was a relief!  However, I definitely did something muscularly to my sacrum, which I now know is just above the tailbone.  I must have come down on that and just narrowly avoided my tailbone, which is why I can sit, but why doing anything else hurts.  Needless to say, it's not very fun to move around and picking up the kids or getting them things is difficult.

Thankfully, Sacha took today off of work so that I can recuperate a little.  I'm hoping that today will make a big difference and that I'll be more functional tomorrow!

Meanwhile, Mateo is giving poor Sacha a run for her money.  I don't know if the accident scared him and he's acting out or if he's just being difficult, or maybe it's all the change we've had lately, but he's had several major meltdowns since I fell.

Anyway, I'm hoping to be on the mend soon and am SO grateful to Sacha for taking today off.  Even though my butt hurts, it feels rather luxurious to get a day to rest when I'm not actually sick!

No comments: