We had our annual meeting with our financial planner today and we brought the baby, because she comes almost everywhere with us. After the oohing and aahing had commenced, the financial planner asked us how old the baby was, and then said "So, did you get her from day one, then?" We were like, what?, and then realized she thought we had adopted her. The funny thing was that she asked as Sacha was breastfeeding Rosa, and, while I know lactation can be induced, it is usually a clear sign that the woman breastfeeding has given birth to the baby! It turned out that she thought we had adopted all three kids and was quite surprised to find out otherwise.
It made me think about the questions we get and how many millions of times we've explained our family to random people. I know Apa gets this all the time, too, because we've talked about it. People are endlessly fascinated and most want to know every detail they can get. Most assume we had intensive fertility interventions (we didn't) and a lot assume that one or both of us had, well, biblical relations with Apa (which we most certainly did not). At this point, it just strikes me funny and I always laugh at Apa's catch phrase, which he should really copyright: The Miracle of the Mason Jar!
In other words, the kids were conceived using the good, old fashioned turkey baster method, except that the turkey baster was really a syringe. I'm sure this is going to mortify them when they're teenagers, so I don't know why I'm writing about it now. I just think of the extremes that people go to - either that we must have adopted (although we really did have to adopt each time, at great cost, but not in the way they think) or that we must have been doing IVF - when the reality was more of a do-it-yourself experience than anything else. I mean, we're lesbians, so it was practically a requirement that having kids be a do-it-yourself project!
1 comment:
I am totally LMAO about the idea of you and/or Sacha having "biblical relations" with Apa. Ha ha ha ha. Mostly I think I just find the expression "biblical relations" hilarious. Also, people are so curious/nosy/quick to assume things, aren't they? I like to give people the benefit of the doubt on stuff, but I'm sure there are times when the questions get old.
Post a Comment