Getting the kids ready for bed tonight, I started thinking about routines. It's funny, because (at least, to us) structure and routines are essential parts of raising kids, but they are also the very hardest part. Especially consistency. It's something I really struggle with, and I know I'm not alone on this.
It's so hard to figure out exactly where to draw the line with behavior, especially when your kids are constantly testing you to find out what they can get away with and what they can't. So, that part is very much a work in progress. I lecture too much and go to our 1, 2, 3, timeout system far more slowly than I should. Or, I do both at the same time, which is even worse. I also point out negative behaviors far more than positive ones, although I'm working hard to change that, and I'm sure I could mention a million other works in progress in the parenting department.
However, one thing I am proud of is the sleep routines we've established for our kids, and therefore for our family. We get up at the same time every day (mostly thanks to our early-rising son and Sacha's early schedule at school), we have naptime or rest time at the same time, and we all have dinner and then the kids have playtime and go to bed at nearly the exact same time every night. It's nice for them because (in my opinion) kids need structure, and they always know what to expect in terms of rest or sleep time during the day and night.
I try to fill up our days with fun and cool stuff, but we always do have the pillars of waking up, taking a rest, and going to bed to bookend things. It's also really, really nice for Sacha and me to know that between 7 and 7:30 pm every night, the kids will be in bed and (hopefully) going to sleep. Once we FINALLY transitioned baby Mateo to an actual bedtime - and believe me, it was an epic battle - we realized what a magical thing it was. An evening for ourselves and only for ourselves? Sign us up! When Natalia was born, she was, first of all, a much easier sleeper, but we also focused more on getting her on a schedule from early on. And, now that the kids are sharing a room, they're both sleeping better at night. It's so cute to see them comforted by each other, even if they do occasionally stay up late gabbing away.
Anyway, this is nothing earth-shaking, but I am all about early bedtimes for our kids and am hoping to keep it that way for a long time to come. Both of them need to be well-rested to function during the day, and the 7 pm bedtime seems to work for them. When they go down later, they tend to wake up earlier, or at least Mateo does. I think Tali would happily sleep later in the morning, but it's just impossible with her brother around! Although many, many, (way too) many well-meaning people have suggested that a later bedtime would mean a later waking time for him, it's just not true. If anything, he wakes up earlier and way overtired, which derails our day before it starts.
I know they won't always go down at 7, but I hope we can carve out an evening for ourselves for as long as that's possible. And, I imagine that by the time the kids are older and going to bed later, that they will be much more self-contained and busy with doing their own thing a lot of the time, so we won't be quite so exhausted at the end of the day (somebody, tell me this is true!). As well, I certainly don't mean this as what works for us should work for everybody...just that sleep routines have been crucial for us so far and I think they will continue to be.
Also, today is apparently de-lurking day, so if you're out there reading this, it would be great if you could leave a comment! We think this blog is mostly read by family and friends, but we'd love to hear if anyone else out there is following along.
9 comments:
our boys are 13 & 5 since they share a bed room they both go to bed at 8. I feel bad for our oldest I wish we could change his bedtime and give him an extra hour to stay up but because they share a room it would make things even harder.I love structure !!
"De-lurking Day"? That's funny!!
Anyway, I was prepared to write a similar post, and I think you read my mind! Gus suggested the other night that we should think about moving Nikos' bedtime to 7:45 instead of 7:15, since he usually stays in his room and plays for half an hour after we put him down. I told him he was nuts. I will carve out that adults-only evening time as long as I can! :) (plus, I think he'd still play for another half hour, which would make the change pointless).
As the mother of a 9 week-old, your sleep routine sounds like 7th heaven to me! I agree that kids need structure, and it seems like you and Sacha have done a bang-up job giving it to your kids, especially given that you've had to work with a son who has never been a sleep fan. Keep up the good work! :)
Hello! De-lurking as requested ;-). I've been reading since shortly after Mateo's birth! I've been meaning to comment to mention that Sacha and I are only a week or so apart - though this is our first. All the fun blogs I follow, including this one of course, finally inspired me to start our own so we can keep family and friends up to speed, but also to have a history for our future kiddos. taylorstidbits.wordpress.com
I am de-lurking! I have been following your blog for a while. I love reading your posts, as they often are very thought-provoking and at times I have been left pondering about the questions you raise or comments made- always in a good way! You have a beautiful family and it's great to see and hear how other people live across the other side of the world!
Have been lurking for a while and greatly enjoying your blog!
De-lurking to say I enjoy reading your blog! Not sure how I found it, I think a link from another one, but I feel like my partner and I are about five years or so behind you guys in the kid department, and so it's like getting a little sneak-peek as to what might be in our future. :) We also live in Portland, I'm an elementary teacher, and we are thinking of starting the baby-making process this year. It's great to read about your experiences along the way! Now that we are getting closer to actually starting the process I have a million questions, so I will have to comment more and ask a few. :)
Hey, thanks for commenting, everybody! It's great to hear from people who we haven't known about before. @Sarah - we'd be happy to answer any questions, to feel free to ask away!
De-lurking, as well. I've been following you guys for a couple years. I really enjoy jour blog. You have a great family. I'm also a teacher but in Vancouver, Canada.
Post a Comment