Saturday, July 17, 2010

Sandy, busy day

We had a big day today!  Thanks to our summer schedule of trading mornings of who gets up with the kids, Sacha got up early and let me sleep in.  Then, I took Mateo out for a quick breakfast and park playdate with some of our friends from his preschool. 

After that, we rushed home to finish cleaning the house before our second event of the day:  our friends, Catherine and Mekka, from southern California were coming into town for a wedding this weekend.  Cat was coming over for coffee and then lunch and we were all very excited!  After lots of talking and LOTS of eating, we sent her on her way to the wedding and had naptime and workout time for me. 

 And then, I packed up the kids and we took a trip on the MAX train to Pioneer Courthouse Square, where they were having an event called Sand in the City.  Sacha and her parents took the kids two years ago, when Natalia was about 3 weeks old, and I stayed home to sleep.  I'm glad I went this time, though, because it was awesome.  One of the best things about having toddlers/preschoolers is that every part of an adventure is exciting for them. 

They loved waiting for the train, and riding it downtown!

Waiting for the train

Our local MAX station

They also, of course, loved the crazy sand sculptures.  I loved them, too.   Here are some of the coolest ones:


This castle was awesome!

These next two go out to Uncle Galen, who works in a mill and wears a hard hat every day!


We finished up at the dig pit for kids, at which both kids spent much time digging and piling and such.  They even buried my shoe.

It was kind of a madhouse...


This might look sideways, but it's really just my normal view of Tali from the top.  When we're out, if I'm not holding her, she's about 2 inches from me at all times...

I just can't get enough of her curls!

Finally, the Pioneer Courthouse itself!  It was built back in the 1800s.  The square next to it is called "Portland's Living Room" and always has cool events going on, as well as lots of homeless people hanging out.
We made it home on the train and now the kids are in bed.  We're thinking of watching our first episode of The Wire, so we'll see if we get hooked.  We also have to get the basement ready for cat living, because Yarn is going to be staying down there at the end of the month, while we're gone for two weeks and our floors are being refinished.  She's never even been to the basement, so we hope to acclimate her slowly.  Have a great weekend!

No comments: