Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Three things

1. Mateo has been feeling fashionable this week, sporting both his special wedding clothes from Rachel and Joaquin's wedding and this totally fabulous dress-up gown that we got at a consignment store awhile back. At different times, of course. Tali hasn't been quite so excited about dressing up, but she is very excited about holding "Yarn," which is what she's named the stuffed cat she got from Auntie Edlyn, as well as every other cat that she sees anywhere. For us, Yarn is literally everywhere. Here they are with their respective prized possessions/outfits:



2. Mateo came home from preschool today with a board game that he made with his class. Somehow it's much more difficult to explain than to play, so I'll skip the explanation and just say that we played it twice after naptime and then again after Sacha got home. It was the first board game he's played and it was very fun for both of us.




3. After his nap, Mateo really wanted to bake cookies, and since his sister was still sleeping, it was an easy project for us to do. He's been wanting to use our cookie cutters for quite some time, so we decided to give it a shot with the chocolate chip cookie dough. Chocolate chip cookies weren't exactly meant to be cut into shapes, but we gave it our best shot anyway.

I'm sure my dad's mom was smiling down on us from somewhere, because she loved a good baking project as well as cookie cutters of all kinds. She and the kids would have really gotten a kick out of each other, and I know she and Mateo would have bonded over their shared love of making cookies in cute little shapes.

I realized, during this project, that I had told the kids stories about her (and, obviously, they are very lucky to see my mom's mom, Grandmommy, quite frequently!), but had never given them her name, because I wasn't quite sure what they would have called her if she was still with us. So, I decided on Great-Grandma Morgia and I think that's how we'll be referring to her from now on. The cookies did come out rather bloblike in the end, but we still had a great time.



2 comments:

Cherida said...

Yes, to be sure, she would have enjoyed your family very much :) And probably was laughing with joy, as she did, watching the whole process from wherever she is :)

Megan said...

That first photo of Talia blows me away. She really looks like a little girl and not a baby anymore!