Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The wrong hair

Sacha had a work colleague over this afternoon to do some planning. This colleague brought along her elementary-school-aged son, who spent some time playing with our kids while I supervised and the other adults worked.

At one point, the little boy asked me, out of the blue, "so what's going on with having two moms in this house?" I don't think Sacha's colleague knew anything about us being gay until she got to our house, as she's new to the school, and no one had said anything about it after they got here, either, but the kid must have figured it out.

"Well," I said (thinking, I knew this day would come eventually, but what do I say?), "that's just what our family is like."

He immediately had another question about the two moms: "Then why does one of them have the wrong hair?"

I thought he was talking about me and my short hair, but I wasn't sure, so I asked him what he meant. So he said, "You know, the one in the other room has light hair." Like if we all had matching dark hair then it would obviously make sense for us to have two moms, but since one of us has blondish hair, then it's just all wrong.

I tried not to laugh and wondered what he would ask next, but he had moved on, and that was the end of it! Hilarious. Perhaps I should pick up some hair dye for Sacha?

1 comment:

Wendy and Karen said...

Oh that is a great story! You just never know what's going on in people's minds. They constantly surprise me.