Thursday, May 21, 2009

The work update

Well, as it stands I still have my half time position. I am grateful for this, because I just found out that our district is going to start another set of cuts, but at the moment (before round 2 or cuts), I have been spared. I will find out more in the next few months. This is the positive news.

The negative news has been difficult for me. I had an interview with my school. I basically forced my principal to offer me an interview at the school. And, although they agreed that I was good for the job as a teacher, I am not who they are looking for. From what I have heard, only one other non-native Spanish speaker was interviewed (and that person had connections.) The interview was conducted only in Spanish, even though half of the day in the upper grades is taught in English. There were no questions on how to teach English to the students who need that assistance. I only had to give a written sample in Spanish, not in English. And, at the end of the day, although some teachers did back me, it sounds like other teachers who I have been working with didn't and the administration didn't.

It is really hard not to feel judged by this whole process. And angry. And sad.

Ironically, I have come to a place this year where I no longer doubt my own teaching abilities. I have always second guessed myself, and this year, having worked in many other teachers' classrooms, I finally feel confident in my own abilities. I guess that is the silver lining.

Options right now:
  1. I keep my same half-time position and Alayna keeps hers or starts looking for work closer to home.
  2. I get a full-time job, and Alayna quits hers and stays home with the kids.
  3. I get laid off and either: start a bilingual daycare, bilingual preschool, start up my tutoring business again or get a job somewhere else.

1 comment:

Guinevere said...

I just wanted to offer my commiserations. I'm a teacher, too, and very nearly had my job slashed as well. In the end the university scrounged up money to keep paying me full time, rather than paying me half=time to teach full-time as had been the plan... but I don't have maternity leave in the fall due to the budget cuts.

I wish you the best of luck in navigating the options, and hope something works out for your family!