Saturday, May 2, 2009

Celebrating Earth Day

Today, we decided to celebrate Earth Day. Our friend Katie came over with her girlfriend, and we had a ton of fun in the dirt. We made an herb garden for our kitchen, so we can now have fresh herbs for cooking. Mateo helped with planting some basil, oregano, thyme, chives, rosemary and coriander. I don't know how you use fresh coriander, but I am sure we will learn.

On top of that, we bought some hood strawberry starts and planted them on our steps. I am sure we won't get too many this year, but in the years to come they should be delicious. The other coup from the local nursery was some rhubarb. As a child, I really enjoyed that we had a rhubarb plant in our garden and am looking forward to fresh rhubarb next year. (Yes, we have decided to stay in our house for the meantime.)

Lastly, our square foot garden has been transformed into a polyculture garden. Who knew that I, who likes to organize things, has suddenly decided that this might be fun. Instead of planting rows, or squares or anything like that, you take a bunch of plants that can grow well together and just spread out a ton of seeds. Then you "Eat your way to Equilibrium" or eat the baby greens to thin out all of the plants. We will see how it goes. Mateo loved spreading the seeds and watering them. We planted bok choi, lettuce, peas, bush beans, carrots, parsnips, chives, more lettuce, arugula, radishes and all sorts of other plants. So, hopefully, we will need to do a LOT of eating to thin our way to equilibrium. We will post pictures later if the garden actually works out.

Happy Earth Day, belatedly!

1 comment:

Jamie said...

You will have a wonderful time with coriander as it is coriander in seed and cilantro when it becomes a plant. Have a great time!!