Monday, September 8, 2008

Jogging

I took the kids to the park today, or at least I tried to. A fabulous park in a different part of town. I loaded them both in the car and did my very best to keep M awake until we got there, but he fell asleep anyway. I was going to wake him up and everything until I noticed that the baby was also asleep. I had achieved the holy grail of napping and we were all stuck in the car!

So, I sat there for two hours while they both slept. I tried to rest but mostly I listened to a lot of public radio. I also got to watch a group of mamas in a baby bootcamp class working out at the park. As they lifted weights and ran around with their children in jogging strollers, I started thinking about the last time I actually worked out. It was...well, I couldn't remember when it was. Back in the mists of time. I began to wonder if I could even run as far around the park as the bootcamp ladies were. I used to run a lot, in high school and college, and even after I stopped doing that as much, I worked out regularly. Not so much since our little munchkins came on the scene.

Anyway, I went out and bought a brand new sports bra this afternoon. That had been my major roadblock to working out, because my old ones didn't fit and I needed something to support my poor milk-filled boobs if I was actually going to get anywhere with this.

There were a million choices, but luckily I found a good one and then (after I handed over an arm and a leg to pay for it) Sacha sprung me for a few minutes so I could actually go running! I ran for five minutes, which wasn't much but it totally wore me out, so I guess it was a good place to start. Hopefully I can keep up with this and get back into better shape!

2 comments:

The Lone Coyote said...

Given that I am now lucky to make it to the gym like twice a week just with work, I can only imagine how hard it is to find time for exercise with the little ones. Hopefully, you'll be able to keep it up :)

heather said...

Woo-hoo! Did it feel so great?
With a 4 month old, I've only finally gotten back into jogging, baby and dog in tow.
This weather is very helpful.
Enjoy whatever running you can do, around the block or around the park!