Saturday, August 11, 2007

Books and other things

Mateo took a lovely long nap on my lap yesterday afternoon and I reread most of Operating Instructions by Anne Lamott. It's her journal of her son's first year and it is a great book. So true and so funny at the same time. I have been meaning to take it off the shelf again ever since Mateo was born, since I figured I'd be able to relate to it a little bit more, and I'm so glad I did. I think I'm going to (re)read some of her other books next - Traveling Mercies, Plan B, and Grace, Eventually. Also, I just reread The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, by Michael Chabon, while we were at the beach. Also a great book.

Two more things-

One: Our kitty, Rio, is missing. He hasn't been around since we got back from the beach and our friend who house-sat didn't see him either. He has a microchip in his skin, so any shelter that he might go to should scan him and call us...but since we haven't heard anything, we're going to call a couple of shelters today. We both doubt that he's at a shelter, though. It seems more likely that his outside life and all those fights finally caught up to him. We still have some hope that he's just out wandering and will come back, but are feeling very sad about the possibility that he might not. :(

Two: In happier news, Mateo is learning how to feed himself! Hallelujah! According to Sacha, this morning (while I was sleeping my face off after yet another marathon baby-won't-go-back-to-sleep session in the middle of the night, which concluded with a walk around the neighborhood at about 4 am), she gave him some organic Os and he started picking them up with one hand and then using the other hand to stuff the first hand, and the O, into his mouth! Yay Mateo!! She said after he did that a couple of times, he wanted Os and nothing else. Very cute.

I'm going to post some more photos from our wonderful week with Sacha's parents soon.

1 comment:

Annie said...

I, too, recently read "Operating Instructions" on the recommendation of a friend with two little kids. It was a wonderful read- funny, sweet, heartbreaking, and, according to my friend and now you, true. As someone *considering* parenthood *someday* I have to say that the "true" part really freaked me out a bit. It sounded like that first year with a little one is a HUGE amount of work and worry with very little sleep. While I hear that it's more than worth it, and I can imagine that it must be, the prospect sounds daunting...

What's your take on this? Should prospective parents know all the gritty details before jumping in? or is it better *not* to know certain things until you experience them?