The second week of our cooking project was a big success. I tried two different recipes this week: one a quinoa salad with chicken, avocados, and oranges, among other things, and one a meal of chicken skewers with a burn-your-mouth-off salsa of Meyer lemons, cucumbers, and one flaming hot serrano pepper. Note to self: next time taste it before adding the whole pepper to the salsa. WOW. Hot. I tend to think even milder things are hot, but even Sacha thought this one was extraordinarily spicy. Luckily, some judicious picking out of the pepper pieces led to a somewhat less flaming salsa that tasted delicious when paired with the chicken.
I'm excited to continue our experiment into next week. I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't too hard to cook more involved recipes with the kids around. They even helped with some of the cutting up of easier things, like the pieces of orange. I already can't wait for next week and the dishes we have coming up.
**********************************************
In other news, I think Rosa is starting to say the very beginnings of words. For some time, she has been saying "Ba-ba" when asked to say "Mama." She doesn't always do it, but she does do it enough of the time to make it seem like more than a coincidence. Just today, I noticed her saying "dat!" several times and appearing to refer to an object near her. And, she has been clapping and waving a lot, and signing "milk" when she is nursing. She will also make her little hungry noise when asked if she wants milk. She is clearly processing a lot in her little brain!
Rosa is also in the middle of a growth spurt. She has been eating a lot, and that is saying something for her! She always eats a lot, but she has been downing extra much lately. I have been taking her in to eat lunch with Sacha most weeks on one of our preschool days, and one of her colleagues commented that Rosa looked noticeably bigger than she had the week before. She seems like a gigantic baby to me, although I'm sure she's not exactly high on the charts. At least, she is bigger than she was! If I ever manage to make the appointment for her nine-month check-up, we will see how big she is!
**********************************************
Finally, in possibly unhappy news, Yarn is missing. I realized today that I hadn't seen her in at least a couple of days, and when I went on a search, I couldn't find her. I discreetly told Sacha when she got home and she did a very thorough search and found nothing. Her litter box hasn't changed for a couple of days, which I know because I have been putting off cleaning it and suddenly realized today that it hadn't gotten any more full, and her food and water haven't gone down, either. We don't know if she just suddenly died and we'll find her somewhere in the house, or if she somehow got out and is roaming around outside somewhere. Unfortunately, the last few days have been really stormy and probably not to pleasant to be out in. In any case, we hope she turns up soon, but things aren't looking too good. Will update if we find out anything...
No comments:
Post a Comment