I have decided that selling a house is a lot like trying to get pregnant. You get everything perfectly lined up and give it a good try at the right time, and then you have lots of waiting time before you find out if it worked or not. During that time, referred to as the Two Week Wait by many, it seems that you have nothing but time on your hands to agonize over whether it worked or not. One minute, you think you must be pregnant, without a doubt! Then, the next minute or hour, you become convinced that you are not pregnant, after all, and that you will without a doubt never be. And so the swings go. At least, if you're me! I'm sure not everyone gets so worked up about it :)
Granted, our house has only been on the market for two days, but I'm already feeling the ebbs and flows between the two poles of "we must be about to get an offer in the next five minutes," to "it will never, ever sell, not in a million years!" As I noted above, I tend to run very black and white about these things, but still, I feel like I'm on a roller coaster!
Part of this may have to do with the fact that, since it hit MLS yesterday morning, it has already been shown five times. One of those was a well-attended open house for brokers and the other four have been individual agents coming to check things out with people in tow. Great start, right? Definitely. Except that it seems plain to me that if four couples plus all those brokers have seen it and no one has made an offer yet, then of course it will never happen at all. It feels all too similar to the hand-wringing of the two week wait.
I know I am being ridiculous, but venting seems to help! I know that the market is terrible right now, so I'm thrilled that it has generated so much interest right off the bat. I just wish there was a timeline that I could consult! On the one hand, some houses in our neighborhood have gone pending in less than a week. On the other hand, we know people in other areas whose homes have been on the market for a year. We will probably fall somewhere in between, but where? And, when?
Perhaps luckily, I have been working very hard for the last year or so on just being present in my life and not getting so caught up in the future. So, I am better able now to let all my wonderings go and just accept this moment for what it is. In fact, I believe I have ice cream and possibly Glee in my near future! So, I will focus on that and let the housing chips fall where they may...at least for right now.
2 comments:
I just looked up your listing--looks great! I've got my fingers crossed for you, although I selfishly want you to be in the 'hood for as long as possible.
It took 6 weeks for us to sell our Portland home. We actually left for VA before ever meeting the potential buyers so I can sympathize with the hand-wringing craziness of it all. I'm sending you my very best wishes for a great and fast sale.
PS- I'm a believer in the St. Joseph Statue. You can google it if you don't know what I'm talking about.
Post a Comment